Trump Bets That Voters Will Buy His Feigned Moderation On Abortion

I wonder how many abortions Trump’s had a hand in? Causing a pregnancy? Paying to make one go away…etc?

3 Likes

Possibly - but just the other day I had a conversation with a “hard core” - single issue voter - an absolutest - (and yes , this is just one data point) but it was very very clear - any mealy-mouthed wavering … and thing less than the promise of total ban & “sitting this one out” would be the option.

But - realistically this is early April … Trump will sway around & play with multiple “positions” before November.

5 Likes

With the exception of a small number of people, they all know. And certainly every MOC knows full well. They know that they are supporting a treasonous, criminal ignoramus who’s never paid taxes, cheated on all his wives, has raped women, and lies every time he opens his mouth.

And they’re all just fine with it.

It is beyond reprehensible. There are really no words to describe how loathsome these creatures are.

8 Likes

I could kill pregnant women, and not lose a single vote. Though I wouldn’t be as effective compared to COVID victims, I think I did a pretty good job of burning things down.

9 Likes

Occam’s Razor calls on us to look and test first the explanation that has the fewest underlying assumptions, as a way to seek the truth.

Trump’s Razor calls on us to look and test first the stupidest explanation as a way to seek truth.

4 Likes

o.t. Totality 3:20 PM

11 Likes

I bet the eclipse is real disappointed in your Yelp review.

4 Likes

Besides, once Stinky gives them a national abortion ban, they can righteously claim their heart-felt “Thoughts & Prayers” moved the sinful heart of Cyrus.

donald … just so ya know … there’s a cosy cell waiting for ya at Florence ADX prison in Colorado

2 Likes

For 50 years the Republicans claimed they just wanted states to regulate abortion. When they got that, instantly they demanded a NATIONAL ABORTION BAN. If there was a GOP platform, that would be part of it.

Nobody is going to be fooled. These guys don’t even want to allow contraception.

3 Likes

With his own money? He paid himself?

It’s more than a few percent … sad to say

Hard to believe any women actually wanted to sleep with him outside marriage. I would think most of them would have Melanomia’s reaction to him:

Admitting they had sex with him? Who would do that?

1 Like

They won’t.

1 Like

I disagree that Trump is betting on voters buying his “feigned” moderation on abortion.

Rather, it is far more cynical, Trump is betting most Republican voters really do not care about abortion.

Rather, as has been said many times, the overwhelming support of White Evangelicals for Donald “grab her by the…” Trump proves that “values” in front of the word voter is and has always been code for race.

The Republican Party has for 40 years been buying power on a credit card of outlawing abortion and now the bill has come due. That is to the extent Trump is trying to moderate the Republican position on abortion, it has more to do with those who vote Republican because of this single issue while trying to not scare women into voting who normally do not bother to vote.

Before Dobbs, more people who voted on that single issue voted to make abortion illegal. While that is still true, the difference is the difference between those who vote just against abortion and those who vote just to support women’s right to bodily autonomy has narrowed since 2020 when Trump won 53% of the White women vote.

Noting that in fact most Republicans either support a woman’s right to choose or don’t really care, while they do care if and only if it were to affect them, Trump is trying to find a position that Dobbs will not affect them and satisfy the small yet significant number of Republican voters who only vote Republican because they oppose abortion.

So what Trump is trying to do is wink and nod at the true anti-abortion voters who historically have no issue with a candidate lying because lying does not matter when God is on your side, while trying to assure White women who vote Republican or do not vote at all that the law will not affect them.

In the case of the former, it will likely work better to hold his base. The problem with the latter, women who are now threatened by Trump, it will likely not work as well because it will cause many of them to vote. That is what I expect will happen is that Dobbs will increase turnout among White women where a significant number who otherwise would not vote but will in 2024 come out to vote just to support their right to choose.

“There has to be consequences for women who get abortions.”
– Donald Trump

Consequences

• Jail time
  • Death
  • Family threats
  • Unemployment
  • Poverty

Last night, I had the misfortune to get caught by The Daily while channel hopping. The Daily, the unholy spawn of the incestuous union of New York Times Bothsidesism and NPR Bothsidesism. They were, of course, talking about Trump’s abortion statement. And there I got to listen to the giggly gleeful discussion crediting Trump’s latest spew as having been made in good faith and being totally believable because, after all, it’s just another very normal politician making a very normal and very sincere shift in position in response to voter backlash, not a sickfuck narcissist just saying whatever words he thinks will get him what he wants without any possibility of it making any difference to what he does.

As god is my witness, in the course of her tittering and oh so worldly and worldly wise savvy discussion, the vapid twit whose name I will not repeat used the word “pivot” at least twice, probably three times. It’s a Big Pivot! It’s Theee Big Pivot! Teh Big Pivot to Normalcy and Centrism they Always Knew Would Happen, with a Very Normal Politician doing the Very Normal Political Thing as they do in in the Big Fun Funny Fun Fun Game of Politics where nothing very important is at stake, both sides are equally bad, basically the same and the truth lies in the middle.

And, of course, it was the very worst kind of Trump Bothsidesism, the kind where it’s not so much that Trump is a deeply sick pathological liar as that he’s just a very typical politician doing the normal politician thing. No discussion of Trump’s long history of saying whatever he thinks is to his advantage in the moment and then doing the opposite, and not the slightest note of skepticism about whether this will actually be his policy if he wins. The kind where you hear them talking and the disparity between the world their portraying and the one that exists is so extreme, so surreal, so jarring that you momentarily feel like you are losing your grip on your own sanity.

If I was given a flamethrower and told I could only burn one NPR show off the airwaves, it would be that one. And given the amount of gas around from all the gaslighting, it wouldn’t take much to get the fire started.

And yeah, I know one time in ten or twenty they do a real, valuable story based on solid investigative journalism of the kind that used to be what newspapers did and did best. It doesn’t balance out the scale of the vast harm they do. If anything, it makes it worse by reinforcing the confirmation bias the kind of dumbfucks who think NPR and the NYT are the epitome of journalism.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available