TN GOPers Push To Sack Commission That Voted To Remove KKK Leader’s Bust | Talking Points Memo

Just days after the Tennessee Historical Commission voted overwhelmingly to remove a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest, the Confederate general and first Ku Klux Klan grand wizard, several Republicans state lawmakers are pushing to replace the entire commission with new members. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1365567
1 Like

The easiest way to deal with the bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest is not to remove it from the capitol, but to place in an appropriate place, i.e. the men’s restroom in the most way out corner or the complex.

23 Likes

“Our fear is that this dramatic shift will remove the institutional knowledge from the commission as it is currently formatted, and lead to a less effective representation for all Tennesseans,” he said.

That’s the point, isn’t it?

36 Likes

Racists all the way down.

26 Likes

With the news of the past few days from Georgia and the continuing assault on American democracy by the GOP, in spite of Biden’s victory and thus far successful administration, I find myself uneasy about the future.

36 Likes

On the roof, to frighten the pigeons away.

22 Likes

Many people are saying old Forrest had a wide stance…

9 Likes

“On Wednesday, the Tennessee State Government Operations Committee voted 5-4 to advance legislation that would entirely replace the commission’s members, and shrink it to a 12-person panel appointed by the governor and the leaders of the state House and Senate, all of whom are Republicans.”

No big deal.

Republicans are committed to defending the rights of the minority party.

I’m sure a legislative filibuster will force total bipartisanship before anything extreme happens.

Oh, wait…

30 Likes

Or deep in the ground to keep the inner core at bay.

8 Likes

LOL. Dying breed tries to hold on to their prejudice at all costs. They are caricatures of everything we have heard about backward southerners.

26 Likes

Speaking of which, Clyburn has the right question.

“This whole thing that the filibuster cannot be changed, that’s almost like saying to me Brown vs. Board of Education was wrongly decided. That’s what you’re saying?” Clyburn said in an interview.

“We’ve got 50 Democrats, Warnock and Ossoff are two. Since when did Sinema and Manchin get to be more important than Ossoff and Warnock?” said Clyburn, referring to newly-elected Georgia Sens. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff and moderates Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona and Joe Manchin of West Virginia. “They all got us to 50. So this whole notion that we’ve got to do what Manchin says — Warnock is up in two years for reelection.”

37 Likes

I’m OK with canceling the KKK.

25 Likes

The Civil War never really ended.

20 Likes

GOPers making enemies of everybody cannot think of anything but circling the wagons trailers

5 Likes

Speaking of busts…

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2021/03/17/tussauds-waxworks-in-san-antonio-removes-trump-figure-because-people-keep-punching-it?media=AMP+HTML&__twitter_impression=true

Turns out feelings run deep when it comes to Donald Trump. Who’d have thunk?

Louis Tussaud’s Waxworks in Alamo Plaza has packed away a figure of the former reality show star-turned-former president after visitors took out four years’ worth of frustrations on it, according to the Express-News .

The blond-coiffed dummy suffered damage from both punches and scratches to its face, the daily reports.

20 Likes

There are plenty of battles ahead, no doubt, but we knew they weren’t going to roll over and go to sleep. We must continue to fight this battle. We are all in this together. Have faith, friend.

26 Likes

Melt it down and make a bust of Frederick Douglass.

13 Likes

It’s going to be moved across the fucking street to the Tennessee State Museum (a good friend is the curator there)

But the TN GQP— which sees the sessions of the lege as a Klavern meeting—is in a lather about it because they revere their racist leaders.

I get embarrassed to be a Tennessean by the antics of these cretins on a numbingly regular basis.

38 Likes

Besides being a founder of the KKK, Forrest slaughtered several hundred US Army soldiers who surrendered at Ft. Pillow, TN.
Not just a seditionist, a war criminal, too.

34 Likes

Forrest was not a founder of the Klan.
But he was the first Grand Dragon or whatever they called the head racist back then.

He was a truly disgusting person in many ways, but it’s important for us to be truthful about him in order to stop the glorification of people like him.

24 Likes