This Coronavirus Is Unlike Anything in Our Lifetime. We Have to Stop Comparing It to the Flu. | Talking Points Memo

This article was originally published by ProPublica. ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up for ProPublica’s Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox as soon as they are published.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1297517

In addition, Covid-19 recoveries can RECUR AGAIN!

In Guangdong, officials responsible for the coronavirus response announced Feb. 25 that 14% of declared recoveries in the province had later retested positive.

On a lighter and honest note…

5 Likes

The Trump Pandemic.

That’s how the history books will remember this.

14 Likes

We have a paralyzed executive branch because trump is in denial of the truth about this pandemic. He refuses any responsibility for the fuck ups of the testing fiasco. He rejects the seriousness of what we are facing.
Denial of reality is not leadership.

13 Likes

Rump is first in line to blame Obama.
That’s what passes for leadership now.

4 Likes

“This is serious, and I’m making changes to the way I live and work. I’m working from home, trying to get enough sleep and avoiding crowds of any kind.”

This is all well and good, but what is a parent supposed to do when the milk runs out?

Ultimately, how does anyone avoid going into public when the refrigerator and pantry are empty?

Especially with growing children (whose schools have long since closed) trapped at home?

16 Likes

As I reported yesterday, excessive hoarding and overbuying has resulted in a serious shortage of baby formula at the stores in Mesa. So now you have exhausted parents driving from store to overcrowded store looking frantically for baby formula that isn’t there and exposing themselves to more and more people.

Don’t know how many deaths will finally be attributed to COVID-19 when this finally subsides, but more than half of those will be more attributable to rank stupidity, panic, and a complete lack of coherent leadership.

8 Likes

Airlines will request $50 billion assistance package

From CNN’s Greg Wallace

Airlines slammed by the coronavirus are requesting a package of aid from the US government that could amount to $50 billion, according to Airlines for America, the industry group, and two sources.

I’m certain they’ll get it. What about the rest of us?

9 Likes

Especially the grocery worker…

9 Likes

As well they should.

Yep, national spending to keep things afloat is neccessary

3 Likes

You can’t. But it can be made less risky, as Italy is requiring. Maintaining social distance when shopping for food or at a pharmacy. And I understand those who cannot work from home are going to work in Italy. The goal is minimize contact with others. Once people stop panic buying (if they do?) food supply should not be an issue. Not sure about toilet paper. I am limiting my panic buying to dog food and liquor. I wonder if liquor stores will be considered “essential” or “food service” when the broad shut down is in place. Seems like they should be.

It scary, because of president* shit-for-brains assmouth and his stupid sycophants, but we are all in this together and we will help each other in spite of the void in leadership. I know it’s harder for those with kiddos or other dependents but we can do it, dammit.

4 Likes

But enough about Trump.

6 Likes

Trump tweets: “Cuomo has to do more”

From CNN’s Jason Hoffman

President Trump tweeted about his “very good tele-conference” with the nation’s governors but added that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has to “do more.”

Just had a very good tele-conference with Nations’s Governors. Went very well. Cuomo of New York has to “do more”.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 16, 2020

6 Likes

And bear in mind: The people who feed us – from those who back-breakingly pick crops in the field, to those who ring up sales while standing behind a register for ten-hour shifts – are those who can least afford health insurance, co-pays, doctor visits, medicines, and staying home when they’re sick…

Right before touching what goes into our mouths.

16 Likes

I always figured there would be a disease named after him, but though it would be about his mental illnesses.

8 Likes

He is such a lying cocksucker…

Edit: The fucker has me so pissed off I can’t even spell anymore…

3 Likes

I’m sorry - who’s playing politics with a national emergency?

9 Likes

The United States had 2.8 beds per 1,000 residents. By comparison, Germany had 8 beds and China 4.3 per 1,000.

Sobering. Actually, painful.

3 Likes

Gets worse when you include MDs per capita…

4 Likes

Re theJuice: That’s both accurate and hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available