There’s No Resurgence In American Manufacturing. It’s A Myth. | Talking Points Memo

This article is part of TPM Cafe, TPM’s home for opinion and news analysis.

In a towering act of sycophantry, the National Association of Manufacturers announced Friday that it will be giving Ivanka Trump the organization’s first ever Alexander Hamilton Award for “extraordinary support of manufacturing in America.” The organization made the outrageous claim that “no one” — no one! — has ever “provided singular leadership and shown an unwavering commitment to modern manufacturing in America” like she has.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1290585
1 Like

What, the Orange Excresence lying to the hoi polloi??

Imagine that…

13 Likes

the National Association of Manufacturers announced Friday that it will be giving Ivanka Trump the organization’s first ever Alexander Hamilton Award for “extraordinary support of manufacturing in America.

Better news would be someone giving the entire tRump clan the Benedict Arnold award for ‘extraordinary treasonous behavior.’

19 Likes

Maybe we need to give the National Association of Manufacturers an award for “extraordinary bootlicking and ass-kissing”…?

20 Likes

Yes… that works for me too

2 Likes

This story, and not just the absurd award, needs to be front page news. The reality needs to be out there for people to see (if they have eyes) without the clutter of scandal, lying and hypocrisy.

ETA: Nicely done, Mr. Ragazzo!

17 Likes

The crucial thing is that manufacturing jobs don’t even pay more than comparable jobs in other sectors. So it’s like trying to bring a resurgence to minimum-wage coal mining.

10 Likes

This lie is harder to pull off, people notice when there are no new factories going up.

8 Likes

As the President runs for reelection, he is pointing to a strong economy as a “success” for American workers and touting what he says is a resurgence in blue collar jobs.

Yes, very very strong, the strongest ever…

So strong that my daughter who lost her business due to the shutdown needed, until recently, three jobs to partially cover the income she generated running a part-time business.

12 Likes

Good article. Needs to be noticed and propagated by bigger news outlets. TPM deserves more notice.

11 Likes

Search Results

Google sez:

A 501 C ( 6 ) organization is tax speak for a business association such as a chamber of commerce. Although they’re organized to promote business, they don’t generate a profit and don’t pay shares or dividends. That qualifies them as non-profit organizations, exempt from paying income tax.

People ask:

What does the National Association of Manufacturers do?

The National Association of Manufacturers is a 501©(6) trade organization that advocates policies they see as encouraging increased manufacturing . The organization was founded in 1895 and was an early advocate for the creation of the U.S. Department of Commerce and for decreasing tarriffs in international trade.

tarriffs. Decreasing tarriffs in international trade. hahahaha!

15 Likes

" There’s No Resurgence In American Manufacturing. It’s A Myth LIE."

FIFY. A pair. Grow one…

8 Likes

Explain to me why the DNC isn’t out busting Trump myths. We are losing opportunities to prove him wrong while the candidate slug fest goes on and on.

Winning elections is long ball. The RNC is damn busy promoting these phony successes every chance they get.

I’m just wondering if our party has a plan. “Bueller, Bueller?”

12 Likes

Who’re you going to believe, Trump or your lying eyes?

9 Likes

I know who I believe but I breathe this stuff daily.

The average voter doesn’t and will always believe the repetitive message in lieu of any other message.

8 Likes

“Let’s set aside the fact that Ivanka’s own businesses (and her father’s) frequently*** manufacture their products abroad…”

***frequently…meaning “always”.

FIFY, Joe.

13 Likes

I have spent my career in manufacturing, the last two decades in hard goods (metal products, automotive, auto components, refinery / oil equipment). When Trump came into office, I heard a lot about how he was going to really change our business. (I’m in Texas, so you can guess it’s all good). Well, he did. With the imposition of tariffs, suddenly our profitability dived, and we could not get materials in that we needed to meet orders. The company I was with used a grade of stainless steel and high carbon steel which could only be sourced offshore as no domestic mills made the product we needed. Not only did the cost of materials spike, but lead times went from 30 - 45 days up to six months or more. Absolutely destroyed us. Meantime, our customers didn’t want to reopen purchase orders and pay more, and we really had no leverage. End story, we had to lay off manufacturing and sales personnel until we could get materials in stock, then we had to incur lots of overtime to get product out the door.

But it wasn’t all doom and gloom. Several of our competitors were importing completed assemblies from China, and since they weren’t covered under the metals tariffs, they could drastically undercut us. Sucked to be us, but at least the Donald created new manufacturing jobs – in China.

33 Likes

yep I believe it

As an acolyte of the dismal science I can tell you protectionism, tariffs, et al
are usually very bad ideas

9 Likes

Thank you for this, Joe. Trump lies a lot, but his lies about the macroeconomy are among the most pernicious. And he gets away with it day in and day out.

11 Likes

Patience, we have only yet begun: Sincerely DJT.

Added:
I wish I could find that article from a union publication I linked to a couple years ago. A company in MA. that makes factory manufacturing equipment ( multi million dollar huge machines) said most orders were coming from outside of the US. They said once the factories get built around the machinery, more jobs will disappear in the US. The increase in orders was due to tariffs on raw materials here. The countries are going to manufacture the product themselves to avoid the tariffs on steel, Aluminum and etc. The owner of the company said those US jobs will be gone forever once those foreign factories open.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available