There’s Been a Spike in People Dying at Home in Several Cities. That Suggests Coronavirus Deaths Are Higher Than Reported. | Talking Points Memo

This story first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1303831

It is obvious that COVID-19 deaths are being under-reported due to the lack of tests. This is by design by BLOTUS. He doesn’t want high numbers. He’s said so himself. He also takes no responsibility for this. He’s said so himself.

If you want to hold BLOTUS accountable for his horrible public health response, then one of the things you must do is attribute the deaths to COVID-19. The only way to do this is take samples, store them safely and with traceability, and analyze them later. Then retroactively modify the statistics.

10 Likes

Given that the U.S. doesn’t have enough tests in the first place, the majority of the screenings are “probably marked for people who are alive.”

“Probably."

4 Likes

Let’s ask our President…oh wait forget it…

2 Likes

But my numbers…I like my numbers…LOW!

Meanwhile, MIT researchers observed particles from a cough traveling as far as 16 feet. Inhaling these particles or touching the surfaces where they land may lead to infection

6 Likes

Clearly, home is too dangerous a place to be in these fraught times. Someone in power with a real estate background could probably suggest a way of relieving all home owners of their toxic burden. Oh wait…

NYC reported an additional 3700 deaths from those who died at home presumably due to COVID-19. Those numbers will end up in the aggregator sites and will result in our casualties exceeding 30k by tomorrow.

5 Likes

Just saw on the local news that St, Louis City and County each opened an extra morgue site. And the local hospital that’s serving this particular news station is reporting that PPE is now low for area hospitals. :worried:

But I did find new favorite local news presenter, she’s remotely doing the news cast from her home, and in the background on a chair sat her Siamese cat.:heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Have they never been to a watermelon seed spitting contest?

2 Likes

They are so beautiful! However, I understand that they can be quite temperamental.

1 Like

Any unattended death due to pneumonia, and especially an anomalous pneumonia should be presumptively attributed to COVID-19 during this period. You may overcount by a few, but not doing so will undercount by a lot.

4 Likes

In absolute total agreement with you.

Research reports studying the 1918 pandemic settle on the the deaths above baseline statistic (DAB) to dampen the noise caused by lack of testing and reduced medical care availability. It even takes into consideration all the nonsense that COVID-19 is just like seasonal influenza and the reduced driving which in a normal years causes 100 deaths a day across the country.

Economic Effects of 1918 Pandemic in U.S.

1 Like

It fits right in with the Covidiots predictions that the first 15 cases would disappear and, then, after cases increased, that they would all disappear in April, like a “miracle.” The fewer counted, the fewer that he is responsible for. The fewer counted, the less the effect of the virus. The fewer counted , the more “reasonable” it is to end the restrictions.
In other words, the fewer counted, the greater the likelihood of a rebound that will kill many thousands more because our government no longer is simply inept; it has become malignant.

So how many recovered-but-not-tested vs unattributed to cv19 deaths above baseline? Many have made the argument that the first group knocks down the mortality rate of cv19, but the size of that second group would seriously impact that calculation.

We are probably only going to get the likely died at home from COVID-19 from urban areas. Many of the deaths from the suburbs and especially rural areas will be classified otherwise because of local politics.

1 Like

Not the two I’ve had in the past.

1 Like

Under-insured person here. Knowing that setting foot in the hospital ER would dramatically change my family’s financial circumstances for the foreseeable future (still paying off a one night stay last year) I can understand avoiding it until it’s too late. Add to that the chaotic atmosphere at overrun hospitals, it should be no surprise that people are waiting until it’s too late. I hope when researching this that insurance status is taken into account.

1 Like

I sympathize with you. I am in a situation where contracting it means a very good chance of death for my partner or myself and a non-negligible chance of bankruptcy.

The shit private insurance that I have is at best an anti-bankruptcy policy and I have my doubts about even that coming through…

I expect a lot of individuals are deciding to take their chances on recovering on their own rather than bankrupting themselves and their families and I don’t think we have a good idea of how much going to a hospital increases your chances of survival. It is a bloody awful state of affairs and the Dems need to run on fixing it as part of their platform – not just with words but actions.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available