The White House Asked Manufacturers for Help, Then Gave Them No Clear Instructions | Talking Points Memo

All individuals are requested to immediately throw rolls of paper towels at people, a heroic, decisive and proven response to disasters.

5 Likes

This is my shocked face.

:neutral_face:

7 Likes

Roosevelt had Jesse H. Jones to rely onā€¦ Trump just throws things out and expects it to be handled in post-production.

5 Likes

Our government has been drowned in a bathtub. Practically a failed state at this point. Only way out is to turn to the Democratic Party.

He canā€™t even run the trains on time. Thought that was supposed to be the saving grace of fascism.

15 Likes

Trump:

ā€œThe federal government is not supposed to be out there buying vast amounts of items and then shipping. You know, weā€™re not a shipping clerk,ā€ Trump said.

Note that Trump Regime are out bidding the state govt for medical supplies!

Pence:

ā€ā€¦ā€whole of Americaā€ approach pushed by Pence to combat the coronavirus, emphasizing robust, voluntary partnerships with the private sector.

Healthcare workers:

Health care workers are growing desperate for gear to protect them from airborne particles and liquids that can spread the coronavirus.

Trump plays favorites esp with his new home stateā€¦

Florida, a state of 21 million, got all 180,000 N95 masks it wanted .
Oregon, a state of 4 million, only received 40,000 of the 400,000 masks it requested,

and New Jersey, a state of 9 million, got 85,000 of the 2.9 million masks it feels it needs.ā€

(https://www.propublica.org/article/heres-why-florida-got-all-the-emergency-medical-supplies-it-requested-while-other-states-did-not)

Hereā€™s Why Florida Got All the Emergency Medical Supplies It Requested Whileā€¦

The Department of Health and Human Services has come under fire as several statesā€™ requests for supplies from the emergency medical stockpile go unfulfilled. A chaotic distribution plan is buckling under a big problem: Nobody has enough.

10 Likes

Hereā€™s a guy who has some demonstrated, successful history (for 30 years) of running a $5.9 Billion enterprise:

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/anthony-s-fauci-md-bio

3 Likes

jesusā€¦ I canā€™t believe iā€™m saying this; but damn, Iā€™m loving andy Cuomo these daysā€¦ esp knowing that dopey Donnie is seething. and you just know heā€™s having his minions prep his comments right nowā€¦

8 Likes

Even worse his half-baked crap and sporadic eruptions and flinging out of bad ideas creates a start-and-stop waste of time and effort. He has been acting like he was doing something for two weeks and still nothing really has been done. Constantly at Square Zero or worse.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Jay Rosen is one of my favorite media observers and critics. Hereā€™re his thoughts on how Trump should be covered in order to mitigate his constant spew of misinformation. Asking ā€œtough questionsā€ and follow up by reporters wonā€™t cut if for the reasons Jay gives. Its time for the press to cut Trump off from his ego-feeding ā€œfood supplyā€.

ā€¦

ā€¦

ā€¦

Thread.

21 Likes

This has ā€œJared Kushnerā€ all over it. ā€œI know, Iā€™ll ask all my developer friends to take masks from their workers. We can keep them in the closet in my office and give them to people who bribe us.ā€ These losers make Inspector Clouseau look like Sam Spade. Benny Hill like Brad Pitt. The Keystone Kops like Jack Webb on Dragnet. Horrible.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s why we need to do what the British have proposed -just pay everyone, especially furloughed workers. Thereā€™s no moral hazard here, as this is an ā€œact of Godā€ facilitated by an incompetent and corrupt Administration.

9 Likes

Too bad Trump canā€™t just campaign-rally his way out of this crisis. You can see how itā€™s just killing him to have to do these daily press conferences in front of a non-adoring crowd. Penceā€™s butt-licking is helping but itā€™s not a replacement for the roar of the crowd and a sea of sycophantic red-hats.

3 Likes

Just read the thread and article embedded in the thread. I agree. This ProPublica article is an example of the words not matching the actions. Meanwhile, in WA state some supplies are coming but the warehouse is already empty.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/our-warehouses-are-empty-washington-state-epidemiologist-describes-severe-shortages-of-medical-supply-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/

6 Likes

We canā€™t get our goddamned shit together to make fricking masks. Yet China erects an entire 1000 bed hospital, fully staffed, with isolation wards and ICU units, in ten days. Just shoot me.

• The city of Wuhan in China completed a makeshift emergency hospital to treat patients infected with the coronavirus in just 10 days.
  • The emergency medical facility is made up of two floors and has several isolation wards and 30 intensive care units. It can hold up to 1,000 patients.
20 Likes

Sounds like a clueless intern was tasked with the survey monkey assignment. Or one of those college seniors they have been hiring lately.

11 Likes

Donā€™t bother him ā€¦ heā€™s busy.

2 Likes

I agree with all but the ā€œjust shoot meā€ part.

4 Likes

They re going to pay everyone. Boeing, TRW, Raytheon, Siemens, Chevron, United Health, United Airlines.

Everyone that matters.

12 Likes

I disagree to a point. It isnā€™t the stage Chump wants, but it is The Stage and he is going to jealously guard it and use it. He has already fukked up every single use of that stage and will continue to warp it to his purposes instead of what it is meant forā€¦crisis communications and centralized information and organization. He is trying to rob from that platform all the ā€œIā€™m The Big Cheeseā€ value he can and trying to keep anyone else from attaining any status.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available