The Weekend Kerfuffle In The Trump Jan. 6 Case, Explained

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1465446

What the blazes? I’m frist?

71 Likes

Sadly, when I think of low disgusting liars, I now always think of the racists, homophobes, grifters, criminals, fraudsters, anti-Semites, and other filth who comprise today’s Republican Party. That a majority of Republicans continue to believe that Trump won the 2020 election, encouraged in their erroneous beliefs by the lying swine at Fox and other Republican fake news purveyors only speaks to their ignorance and hate for America and its Constitution. How low the once Grand Old Party has fallen, down the drain and into the sewer. Now when I meet Trump supporters I presume they are bigots and haters.

70 Likes

Geez, it’s interesting that the defendant puffs out his chest and blows smoke and freely makes threats and talks trash when he’s outside the courtroom but acts like a meek and hurt puppy inside the courtroom. Can’t wait until the judge takes the bench and calls him in for a stern talk. Perhaps he should pack a toothbrush, as we say.

73 Likes

Morning Memo won’t be led around by the nose on the basis of Trump’s rantings and ravings about things his legal team refuses to adopt formally.

That will clean up the news feed here, thank you. I wish the MSM would make the same distinction, because we’re in for 6 months to a year of Trump attempting to try this case in the court of public opinion.

57 Likes

Chump figured out, and continues to abuse (hard) his Free Media card.
You don’t need to own those pesky Media companies when they give it to you free! When you are a star, they let you do it.

56 Likes

Re: The very conservative Fifth Circuit’s felon voting rights opinion.

It was an incredibly lucky draw on the judges, with two senior judges appointed by Carter and Clinton for the majority. In the dissenting slot was the very conservative Edith Jones, which tells you all you need to know about how this is going to go on motion for en banc rehearing.

60 Likes

He can do a sleepover! I am good with a terminal sleepover.

16 Likes

Maybe someone can explain to me why the DOJ is seeking a protective order on evidence instead of going straight for a gag order on threats?

It seems like a convoluted way to respond to the threat Trump posted about “going after you,” but there must be a reason it’s being done this way. Is it just an indirect way to say you can’t threaten anyone whose name is listed as a witness in discovery?

16 Likes

I’m good with a fatal sleepover.

10 Likes

I actually used the weekend to do weekend stuff and missed the kerfuffle. Perfect. The dam is definitely cracking.

26 Likes

Cat pictures, or it doesn’t matter (much).

32 Likes

This comment is going to get me into trouble but I will go there anyway :)! Mr. Trump is interesting (in a perverse way…). He makes good TV and articles people want to read. Good and serious pols like HRC are boring. They discuss policy and serious topics that most people just don’t want to deal with. Particularly in our present click-driven media world, the 3 ring circus will win every time.

22 Likes

39 Likes

Being first (or frist) without a cat pic is merely a technical violation of the TPM Community Constitution.

69 Likes

Never!

28 Likes

Truly a BFD.

10 Likes

I enjoyed Lauro’s comments about going F. Lee Bailey on Pence’s testimony on the stand. If any of Trump’s cases ever get to the point of Pence being on the stand, Trump is truly fucked. If Pence ever has to put his hand on the good book and swear under oath to tell the truth, he’s gonna come clean.

50 Likes

Once again, I like reading Joyce Vance and here is her take about the weekend follies and what she sees happening this week.

45 Likes

Twitter’s parody Jack Smith thinks the following…

The best way to shut him up.

Is to not revoke his conditional release.

Don’t give him the 1A battle and appeals he is craving. He needs to delay the trial by any means necessary. Hence this show of defiance.

Don’t martyr him.

He’ll use any pre-trial reprimand to appeal for changes in the judge and venue.

He will probably not win…but it could cause more delays.

The best way to shut him up? Give him a speedy trial.
This is not giving him a pass. This is accelerating something he desperately wants to avoid.

He knows the walls are closing in and will become more unhinged and desperate by the day. A gag order will not stop it.

You want mugshots, fingerprints and to see him humiliated.

I want the quickest path to see him held accountable for his crimes.

It’s not the same.

https://twitter.com/7Veritas4/status/1687988608228012032

81 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available