The Week In Pictures - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Here’s a look back at some of TPM’s top stories this week …

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1427716

FiRsT!

17 Likes

So is Kari Lake telling her supporters ‘Vote for me and I’ll take a sledgehammer to democracy!’ I suppose that message would resonate with the lovers of fascism.

22 Likes

The entire slate of Arizona GOP nominees are anti democratic fascists. By that, I mean their senate, governor, AG, and Secretary of State candidates.

What does this mean? I think it’s more likely than not that if Democrats run strong campaigns these lunatics will lose.

Similarly, pro insurrection Trumpist and radical anti choice GOP candidates for Michigan, Illinois, and Maryland governor, along with Pennsylvania governor and senate nominees are very likely to lose.

The GOP is — thank God — its own worst enemy.

28 Likes

Let me throw out a couple of thoughts on my mixed feelings of hope for America.

There are people in this country that openly identify themselves as fascist.

Kansas’ vote on the abortion amendment did not just save reproductive rights in one State. It stopped an onslaught of similar measures all across the country. Way to go, Kansas!

25 Likes

The J6 hearings have been devastating to the average repub voter’s ability to plead ignorance about their cult’s rejection of actual democracy. At least a few of them (voters. not ‘leaders’) seem a bit uncomfortable being associated with that reality.

12 Likes

In a sane political world none of them would ever be nominated. In a slightly less sane world none of them would ever win a primary election. If any of them is actually elected it says all we need to know about the political world in Arizona, coming soon to a red state near you.

“I will not accept if nominated, and will not serve if elected” is not going to play out. It’s up to the voters of Arizona not to give them the chance to serve.

Not exactly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/08/05/indiana-abortion-ban-roe-holscomb/

ETA: In Kansas the people voted. In Indiana the politicians voted.

25 Likes

Fifth photograph from the top…the young blonde lady sitting on the bottom left…

Her expression of heartfelt joy was very uplifting for me…

12 Likes

If you are involved, I’m out. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

doN"T bE meAN to eUSTace!11

14 Likes

I didn’t really need a break from everyone’s pet pictures, but there you are.

23 Likes

Maybe @theghostofeustacetilley is into pet-erasty.

12 Likes

22 Likes

Whatever you do, please do not google ‘group sex’ and ‘pets’ within the same search.

Please. Just don’t do it.

21 Likes

Nope, not a cult. Noper doper!

22 Likes

That’s just plain evil, like putting a whole jar of cookies on the counter and telling your kid not to touch it.

15 Likes

You’d think they’d be aware that their power is waning but they’ll keep pushing that button long after the treats stop falling out of the hole.

16 Likes

20 Likes

17 Likes

So, where are all the pictures TPM? You gave us six; repeated one twice. There are seven days in the week. Surely there are more pictures. There just has to be.

6 Likes