The Wait-And-See Time In A Sprint Of A Campaign Cycle

Originally published at: The Wait-And-See Time In A Sprint Of A Campaign Cycle

Hello, it’s the weekend. This is The Weekender :coffee: It’s odd to be in a lull amid a campaign as truncated and breakneck as this one.  The debate on Tuesday was the most significant campaign moment left on the calendar. Kamala Harris swept the floor with Donald Trump, as evidenced by the hordes of Republicans…

2 Likes

First.

53 Likes

It was awfully nice of Donnie to fully reveal his wack with the eating dogs and cats riff in the debate.
Morning all…

34 Likes

Obligatory cat picture (not mine)

37 Likes

Clearly, your kitty is royalty.

31 Likes

Just a day late.

60 Likes

Thank goodness it’s the weekend! My list of things to do has been getting longer every day!

83 Likes

She sure is. She is Princess Jeraboam, or Bowie for short.

19 Likes

The great thing for these guys in blaming Haitians is that rednecks can’t tell whether any black person in America is one.

Animalistic reactions straight out of the ugly end of the gene pool. Weaponized by the rich in the same manner since the pyramids.

35 Likes

Also,

www.villagevoice.com/dog-soldiers…

57 Likes

Heather Cox Richardson has more on Vance’s motives for pushing the Haitian immigrant smears:

The widespread ridicule of Trump’s statement has obscured that this attack on Ohio’s immigrants is part of an attempt to regain control of the Senate. Convincing Ohio voters that the immigrants in their midst are subhuman could help Republicans defeat popular Democratic incumbent senator Sherrod Brown, who has held his seat since 2007. Brown and Montana’s Jon Tester, both Democrats in states that supported Trump in 2020, are key to controlling the Senate.

Two Republican super PACs, one of which is linked to Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), have booked more than $82 million of ad space in Ohio between Labor Day and the election and are focusing on immigration.

Taking control of the Senate would enable Republicans not only to block all popular Democratic legislation, as they did with gun reform after the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre, but to continue to establish control of America’s judicial system. So long as their judges are in place to make law from the bench, what the majority of Americans want doesn’t matter.

51 Likes

That looks like my mother’s cat, Patti. Patti is also a bit of a chonk.

8 Likes

Trying to incite a pogrom seems like a pretty ham-fisted, political strategy, then again, this is the state that decided to elect J.D. Vance to begin with.

59 Likes

Of course, Vance wants to blame Sherrod Brown because he has voted for pro-immigration policies. But the candidate running to unseat him, Bernie Moreno, has had several issues that have caused some problems for him. The latest involves a campaign aide who had a nasty run-in with police who arrested his girlfriend for drunk driving. The bodycam video of the incident is worth watching. Another “Do you know who I am?” performance that ends up badly for him afterwards. The video is available in the newspaper article that’s linked, which is certainly not complimentary.

35 Likes

Loomer and Trump are clearly getting jiggy with it.

30 Likes

Does Hillbilly Vanilli NOT realize that EVERYONE living in Springfield, Ohio is one of his constituents? And that includes the Haitians who are here legally? Like the mayor, police chief, schoolteachers, and social workers who now have to deal with the crisis he’s fomenting?

53 Likes

I think NATO could push Russia out of Ukraine over a weekend.

28 Likes

I don’t think that I would call it a great thing, but it definitely is a thing.

15 Likes

Spork Foot needs to grow up. The last thing she should care about is who TSF may be getting it on with – even metaphorically. Spork Foot is an elected representative. It’s time she started acting like one.

9 Likes

Heather concludes with another time Republicans resorted to these tactics to take control of the Senate with very tragic results.

Republican leaders are throwing everything they’ve got at the Senate races in Montana and Ohio, where they hope they can pick up the seat they need to take control of the Senate.

Attacks on immigrants in Ohio might move that needle.

In 1890, Republicans faced a similar problem. They had lost the popular vote in 1888, although they installed Republican president Benjamin Harrison in office through the Electoral College, and knew the Democrats would soon far outnumber their own voters. So they set out to guarantee that they could never lose the Senate, which should enable them to kill popular Democratic legislation.

But they misjudged the electorate, and in the 1890 midterm election, voters gave control of the House to the Democrats by a margin of two to one, and control of the Senate came down to a single seat, that of a senator from South Dakota. In those days, state legislatures chose their state’s senators, and shortly after it became clear that control of the Senate was going to depend on that South Dakota seat, U.S. Army troops went to South Dakota to rally voters by putting down an “Indian uprising” in which no people had died and no property had been damaged.

Fueled on false stories of “savages” who were attacking white settlers, the inexperienced soldiers were the ones who pulled the triggers to kill more than 250 Lakotas on December 29, but the Wounded Knee Massacre started in Washington, D.C.

:anguished:

56 Likes