The Trump Administration Paid Millions for Test Tubes — and Got Unusable Mini Soda Bottles | Talking Points Memo

This story first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1315513

The Trump Administration US Taxpayer Paid Millions for Test Tubes — and Got Unusable Mini Soda Bottles

30 Likes

Leave no stone ungrifted.

21 Likes

A lot more people with ties need to do jail time in this country.

19 Likes

Fillakit employees, some not wearing masks, gathered the miniature soda bottles with snow shovels and dumped them into plastic bins before squirting saline into them, all in the open air,

“I kind of said to Stephen, ‘Is this supposed to be, like, clean technique, or sterile technique or what?’”

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

21 Likes

A fish rots from the head down. This maladministration is defective and incompetent from the head to the tail. Malfeasance isn’t a strong enough word for this. Clusterfuck is inadequate. I would say they have set the bar very low, but the truth is they have proven there is no bottom.

14 Likes

We have achieved a level of corruption and absurdity well above that of the Soviet Union.

12 Likes

The Minus Touch strikes another blow for dumbocracy.

6 Likes

Obama failed to stockpile the good test tubes.

2 Likes

8 Likes

h/t @maximus

6 Likes

The kickback to DJT or his minions is?

Follow the money.

8 Likes

I’m beginning to suspect that the people in FEMA have no experience with vetting contractors, understanding the product that they are awarding contracts for, and…everything else that a sane competent person would know.

14 Likes

Pretty sure if you look for a connection to Jared or some other administration crook you’ll find it. Gotta look, though. I’m sure the kickbacks were flying through the air like flocks of starlings.

21 Likes

But liberals want to give all this money to lazy people instead. People who aren’t willing to shovel plastic blowforms into bins. People who just want to feed their kids and stuff.

16 Likes

Without the natural beauty and harmony, though.

9 Likes

What doesn’t add up is that the gummint does, in fact, buy stuff all the time. They send things out for bid, review to make sure the lowest bidder can meet the specs and so forth, it all works after a fashion. It’s no big deal to buy a bunch of test tubes. Wanda Sykes was a purchaser for the government before she went into comedy full time. There must be thousands like her. There was absolutely no reason for something like this to happen without some fuckery. Somebody wanted this shady bunch to get that money. Again, can anyone spell “kickback”?

20 Likes

Oh, I used to see them over the corn-stubbled fields, and just wonder how they could possibly do that. Still do.

3 Likes

Just keep wondering. Analysis destroys beauty.

5 Likes

Can I just add that the reason we have a national stockpile is for things that we might need in a hurry, that may take a little longer to manufacture correctly and in a way that makes them usable for the task at hand? I also understand that one can not just have test tubes with a sterile medium squirted into them remain sterile while sitting on a shelf somewhere, but there has to be ways to figure this out.
Now I really want to see the list of Republican members of Congress that reduced the money Obama requested to keep the stockpile replenished.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available