The Supreme Court Took A Sledgehammer To American Democracy

Thanks, David. Once again, I appreciate your assessment (sobering or otherwise) of exactly where we are.

Wish it weren’t so …

11 Likes

Yeah, well, someday people are going to wake up to the fact the nation isn’t going to rein in Trump, nor punish him for his crimes. Half or more of the voters are in a cult, in the thrall of a Mussolini wannabee.
Some here have predicted for months he walks on everything, only to be pegged as being overly pessimistic, cynical, irrationally impatient for Trump’s comeuppance, which is surely coming. Eeyore is a common tag.
Well…

12 Likes

What’s to stop some of the saner more institutional military officers to turn on him and leave him like Nicolae Ceaușescu?

2 Likes

Waiting to hear what Chutkin has to say.

7 Likes

We’re back to The Purge.

3 Likes

Thank you. I hope Smith and Chutkan are ready to roll.

18 Likes

And the new boss will not be the same as the old boss.

21 Likes

Yes 1000x. I am amazed that these conservative SCOTUS members are so inured to the idea of a king. Authoritarians have an uncanny way of becoming paranoid, usually for good reason. More often the opposition threatens them less than those that made them king.

15 Likes

“when the president does it, that means it’s not illegal” - some guy who never faced justice

19 Likes

Innocent?? Puppy has his claws out and extermination in his eyes. (As any good bug killer should.)

:smile_cat:

8 Likes

*I forgot who I stole this from.

28 Likes

Are you against shooting the homeless when they fall asleep? Surely, this is more humane than killing them when they’re awake! Grant the Supremes this much: they too are human beings, with occasional traces of human emotions, like hatred and rage towards those who won’t prove their righteousness before God through material success.

12 Likes

Excellent point.

Changing topics. Sorta

Katy Tur played a recording a bigger donor made while getting a pep talk from Biden point person who said they should just “breathe through their nose.” It sounded pretty condescending.

Very concerned:

1. With the tenor of the point person
  2. That the donor recorded/shared w/media
  3. That MSNBC played it
6 Likes

There are one or two precedents for mandamus during a criminal trial, but it would be incredibly difficult to pull off in time to negate her in-trial fuckery. Personally, I think she’ll go out of her way to ensure that the jury is populated with trumptards and instruct them that the PRA allows a former president to keep his records while he sorts through them to see what might need to go to the National Archives.

14 Likes

Family 4th of July picnic Thursday. I’ll quietly see how the evangelical rubes that make up my extended family view the SCOTUS immunity decision. I’ll be surprised if anyone cares or even has an opinion of this disaster.

22 Likes

The tipping point has been reached in the slow coup so that they don’t have to hide what they are doing. They ie: SCOTUS, Republicans everywhere, all Trump judges, Roger Stone et al and Trump have impunity. I feel like I felt the day after the 2016 election. Maybe even worse.

17 Likes

:100:

Basic math. Elections are won and lost on the margins. The tight races, the swing voters, voter turnout. One state or district at a time. In the US and in any parliamentary system. Corollary: One of the basic hazards is splitting the vote. Party infighting, third-party candidates, protest votes. Get.out.the.vote.

ETA: In case it’s not obvious, if Biden is dumped (is forced to drop out) at this late date, the Democratic vote is not just split, it is completely fractured because there is no obvious successor to step in. It would be electoral suicide.

32 Likes

I’m sure they are. Chutkan was moving the case along quite expeditiously before the immunity appeal, and Smith’s team were raring to go. I’d look for a multi-week evidentiary hearing starting right after Labor Day.

ETA: Expect a scheduling order, or at least a scheduling conference, next week.

36 Likes

Yep, nothing quite focuses the mind on the task at hand like being told that the insane asshole running for president could very well decide to kill you (and get away with it) if he should win again.

While that’s true, the House did pass multiple election reform bills that were then hung up in the Senate by Manchin and Sinema. We could’ve gotten a lot of amazing things done were it not for those two.

51 Likes

Actually, after thinking some about this, I see a great opportunity to save democracy and our Republic. Biden simply needs to issue orders to the Secret Service to assassinate Trump and the MAGA Party leadership as a threat to our government. Easy…peasy! Obviously an official (and beneficial) order!

9 Likes