The Sunsetting Of The Child Tax Credit Expansion Could Leave Many Families Without Enough Food On The Table | Talking Points Memo

This article is part of TPM Cafe, TPM’s home for opinion and news analysis.It first appeared at The Conversation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1402289

I can see this playing out as a huge issue for mid-terms. This is one item that can be pinned on all those who blocked BBB.

8 Likes

The discontinuation of the Biden administration’s monthly payments of the child tax credit could leave millions of American families without enough food on the table

2 Likes

Yep, Republicans can campaign on the fact that despite having the Presidency and majorities in both houses of Congress Dems let child assistance payments cease.

1 Like

Biden’s talk to mayors today underlined how far the US is from Europe, the advanced economies in Asia and even Canada, when it comes to basic welfare state structures. “Welfare state” is something bad to Americans, so bad in fact, that even the Swedish free-market version gets Bush-era conservatives in hot water. This is absurd. We are judged not by how we treat our billionaires, but how we treat our fellow citizens in need. There is still this belief that grinding child poverty builds character.

12 Likes

My mother was greatly helped by the government, during the Great Depression. She became quite successful, having repaid the government many times over with the results of her success.

Same with my Dad.

11 Likes

Absolutely. My dad was raised in poverty, and was in charge of providing for his four siblings by the age of 13. Still, he finished Caltech thanks to the GI bill and left this planet a better place.

14 Likes

…and without mentioning that they did less than nothing to help keep the program going because they are against helping the already born.

3 Likes

Well, the GQP just figures this’ll kill off all the poor that they didn’t get with COVID-45.

3 Likes

Feature, not a bug. The GQP Trump KKKult wants as many people suffering as possible so they can try to convince them to blame Biden and the Dems for it. It’s no different than their plan to push anti-masking/anti-vaxxing demagoguery so they could blame Biden for “more deaths than Trump” and “failure to stop the pandemic like he promised.”

3 Likes

Nope. It will be painted by the right wing propaganda machine and the Zombie Fourth Estate as the Dems’ being in disarray and their fundamental, inherent, constitutional inability as a party to get anything done or otherwise govern when in power.

2 Likes

Blame the two fuckheads and the GQP, and keep blaming them.

8 Likes

Thank you Mr. Manchin. Thank you Ms Sinema. I hope you lose sleep over the images of starving children.

Now do us all a favor . . . RESIGN!

1 Like

Ask them if they give a rat’s ass. They’re amoral to the point of deliberate cruelty.

3 Likes

I’ve known a few like your dad and my admiration for them knows no bounds.

3 Likes

If the repubs count the votes what difference will it make?

I believe this. They are that cunning and unscrupulous.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available