The President Wades Into To The Congressional Morass | Talking Points Memo

And that scientists bring back unicorns. Everyone likes unicorns.

3 Likes

There’s plenty of time to switch them back.
Plus if history is any indication what’s the point unless you need the money immediately?
For example there was that huge drop at the beginning of the year that has all been made up since then.
Same thing happened in 2008 a year or two down the line.

4 Likes

And then Republicans sweep the midterms by showing that Biden is a poor steward of the economy because he failed to prevent them from sabotaging it…

4 Likes

(Ahem.)

5 Likes

Because they are unrelated.

Raising the debt ceiling is just a legal acknowledgement that the government will pay the debts it has already incurred.
It has nothing to do with future spending.

Congress should—but likely won’t—amend the law to automatically keep the debt ceiling a certain percentage above the current debt and interest.
It would solve the problem permanently.

8 Likes

I never recovered what I lost in 2008. My kitty was much smaller and my base going forward was smaller as a result. Size matters.

2 Likes

And everyone should just chill, anyways. After the “big scare” of 600 points down yesterday, it’s regained over 400 points today… These swings are becoming the norm, nothing to stress about, and every “analyst” that points to one-day swings and says it’s this or that thing is blowing smoke out their ass.

9 Likes

How’s your pet unicorn doing?

4 Likes

At this point I just don’t care about the dynamics of Manchin’s state. And I certainly don’t care about Sinema’s BS, straight up using the Democratic party for her own conflicted personal gain. The President needs to start using his pulpit to tar and feather these mf’s. Continuing to tolerate their BS is going to destroy him and his party.

1 Like

This is the problem
Republicans Are Refusing To Raise Debt Ceiling But Mainstream Media ‘Both Sides’ It | Crooks and Liars

12 Likes

Really, we should just demand they actually abide by the law. Spending bills require certain funds be spent. The Fourteenth Amendment says that the validity of the public debt of the United States cannot be questioned, ie, it’s illegal for us to not pay our debts. The debt ceiling bill doesn’t prohibit Congress from spending money. It can’t, because Congress can’t actually restrict the actions of a future Congress, because that future Congress is just as sovereign as the one trying to limit it. So the law prohibits the Treasury from borrowing money. Which means it calls into question the validity of our public debt. Which… is illegal.

7 Likes

The CNN business page is particularly egregious in this regard—at least in the headlines.

6 Likes

House Republicans Are Unanimously Cool With Risking Debt Ceiling Implosion

House Repubicans are without any other effing choice.

3 Likes

Which will achieve what, exactly? Do you think Joe Manchin will suffer any backlash in a state Biden lost by a stupidly large margin over ‘Joe Biden’s mad at me’?

9 Likes

You’d think this would be a good time for the “problem solvers caucus” to step up to the plate and show us all how the “grown-ups” go about keeping the government from defaulting.

I mean paying the bills you’ve already incurred is the definition of fiscally prudent, so there should be no trouble assembling a bipartisan majority that will side step the filibuster easily. Right? I mean who would call themselves a king maker if they can’t deliver the votes?

9 Likes

The only people who can’t remember how this plays out are the GQP base.

6 Likes

I know I shouldn’t but couldn’t resist. Shield your eyes if you start to heave.

May I state, once again, my visceral hatred of #moscowmitch and his colleagues? Are they really going to allow the United States of America to default on its obligations? Of course not, but they are going to squeeze every advantage out of this fight that they can. They are disgusting people who care nothing about those who elected them. They only respond to their donors.

8 Likes

Joe’s time would be better spent negotiating with Manchin and Sinema’s paymasters.

7 Likes

And, you know, constitutionally mandatory.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available