The President Wades Into To The Congressional Morass | Talking Points Memo

In private discussions this month, two former treasury secretaries — Henry Paulson, who served as under President Bush, and Steve Mnuchin, who served during the Trump administration — tried and failed to avoid the standoff over the debt limit, according to the Washington Post.

Gonna be tons of fun when the U.S. defaults and the DOW drops 10% of its value overnight.

5 Likes

I think a man and woman holding an infant have just ENTERED into slavery.

3 Likes

Bullshit, dear.

7 Likes

Que la boca se te haga chicharron!

Just put my savings back to stocks a few weeks back, I should have kept them in boring bonds.

2 Likes

Both reportedly told the Biden administration that McConnell would not budge from his contention that Democrats should raise the debt ceiling on their own through the budget reconciliation process because they control Congress and the White House

Like denying Garland and rushing ACB, McConnell is doing this because he can.

However, blame should be equally distributed to the Senators who continue to insist at giving McConnell that power. Its far past time for basic measures to keep the government running (continuing resolutions, raising the debt ceiling, etc) to be exempted from the filibuster.

13 Likes

Does Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) have an unpublicized end-stage medical condition? His actions are very bizarre, almost as if he has nothing to loose because he already lost it all. Just wondering…

5 Likes

This is great news, this will be a welcome relief for small business owners suffering from labor shortages, restaurants would no longer need to offer dishwashers 15-20 dollars an hour…

7 Likes

You do know that it is nearly October - right? FY 2022 is in 14 weeks.

1 Like

I do. And I know that we’re probably gonna need yet another reconciliation bill next year at some point, so it’s not like ‘oh, we can afford to lollygag along with this stuff’.

3 Likes

Why doesn’t raising the debt ceiling go hand in hand with bills that raise the debt?

6 Likes

McConnell says: “But he has the advantage of pointing to Democrats having control over the whole government right now.”.

That is not true and TPM should say so. McConnell has the filibuster giving the GOP the power to kill nearly everything. SAY SO TPM!

19 Likes

Fiscal year 2022 starts on Oct.1.

5 Likes

Nothing bizarre here. McConnell lost is soul many years ago.

8 Likes

Built in stupidity. Congresscritters want to have it both ways, vote for the goodies, but againts the means of paying for it.

6 Likes

Because politicians love ways to avoid being blamed for the debts they run up when writing laws to mandate the spending they love taking credit for.

5 Likes

I get why THEY want it that way, but it seems like we the people should demand a change.

Having our government and country’s credit rating held hostage is bullshit.

4 Likes

OT: Hunter Biden is trending on twitter. Apparently, the New York Post is trumpeting that their story about his laptop has been proven true.

I think it’s just a sign that more dirt is about to erupt on TFG’s crime family.

19 Likes

While we are at it, we could also demand that Congresscritters grow a backbone, and start thinking about common good and not just in their re-elections.

6 Likes

When oh when will Democrats finally realize Lucy is pulling the football Every. Damn. Time. If they can eliminate the debt ceiling forever and pass a CR alone, just fucking do it and stop trying to convince people there’s any possibility at all that that the GOP is ever going to act responsibly. Just stop talking to them, stop asking them to do anything at all. Ignore them in committees, except to protect witnesses. Ask for nothing and let people know that’s what you’re doing. Do the best you can and ignore all entreaties for bipartisanship. Can’t anybody here play this game?

9 Likes

I continue to doubt that the Democrats will be blamed if they actually blast through the debt ceiling. The GOP was blamed last time, and they had to relent.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available