‘The Next 77 Days’: Dem Speakers Urge Voters To Not Get Complacent

Originally published at: ‘The Next 77 Days’: Dem Speakers Urge Voters To Not Get Complacent - TPM – Talking Points Memo

The Democratic National Committee hosted the second night of its convention —  themed “A Bold Vision for America’s Future” — on Tuesday.  A good chunk of the messaging was focused on policy — and specifically, the elements of the progressive agenda implemented by the Biden administration that Donald Trump intends to dismantle — and introducing…

Let’s get to work, people. We’ve been punching fascists for more than 80 years — we can do it in 3 months, too. Get out every single vote. Overwhelm all the GOP shenanigans so all their efforts at vote suppression don’t matter. Let’s go, baby!

30 Likes

That is all.

66 Likes

They should use that when they put him on a stamp.

12 Likes

I got to the original thread too late to add this, glad I can put it here. Both my beloved parents (RIP) were born and raised in the Twin Cities (St. Paul/M’pls), so all the stuff about Walz, MN dad jokes, humility, humor, simple plain liberalism, is familiar and close to my heart. Something about tonight reminded me of this piece by Garrison Keillor, old but never forgotten, finally found via the Archive. “Democratic bedrock.” I wanted to gift it to the convention somehow, but this will have to do. From 2004.

“There is a message here: if lower taxes are your priority over human life, then we know what sort of person you are. The response to a cry for help says a lot about us as human beings…A Democrat knows that the leaf turns and in the human comedy we are one day spectators and the next day performers.” Difficult in spots, passionate, lovely, spot-on.

34 Likes

The media always wants a horserace, but is this race as close as everyone says it is? Everyone I know is looking for a brighter future. People I knew to be MAGA fanatics are sick and tired of Trumps antics.

I say this late at night right after the Democrats sold out two arenas in different cities in the middle of one of the best conventions I have ever witnessed.

In the morning when I wake up I will go back to believing this is a close race but right now I am excited by hope and joy.

39 Likes

The crowd shots between the DNC convention and the RNC convention is all I need to know.
One crowd looks like America.
The other crowd is what they want America to look like.

31 Likes

I was just about to post the same observation. The DNC looks like the America I live in. The RNC looks like the America Trump wants to live in.

21 Likes

The idea is that we need Democratic voters to believe it’s gonna be close, so they don’t get lazy and think their votes don’t mean much because it’s already in the bag.

However, my intuition and read of the energy says the making of a total blowout extinction level event are in play. Something is going on that’s very big and unique.

19 Likes

Meanwhile, while the Dem Convention was underway, over on Planet Loser, the Mayor of Crazytown spewed the rambling, babbling, mumbling, disjointed, dementia-addled rantings of a syphilitic imbecile:

The Republican nominee promised that if elected to the White House, he would stop the “plunder, rape, slaughter, and destruction of our American suburbs,” before detouring into a rant about women voters.

“Women want to have safety. They want to have a strong military. They want to have a strong police force. They want to be in the house, and they want to be safe. They don’t want to have people pouring into their doors and you can’t do anything about it. Right?”

As the crowd clapped, Trump mused, “I hope they like my personality.”

He claimed he would never allow the military to become woke, before randomly turning to the officers standing behind him. “Do you promise you’ll never be woke? I don’t see a lot of wokeness, there’s not a lot of wokeness,” Trump said. “I don’t think so.”

11 Likes

Unfortunately his followers are gone gone gone … gone beyond.

21 Likes

Just…fucking…wow…

7 Likes

I am so glad I tuned in to Michelle Obama’s speech. Wow! She was the orator of the night and maybe of the whole convention.
I was delighted to read Ashley Parker’s analysis in WaPo this morning, because she absolutely accurately described every fantastic moment, and everyone who heard the speech in that convention and those of us at home would agree. That speech and its delivery was one for the ages.

(gift article)

https://wapo.st/3MeQXJ2

24 Likes

Remember, you live in a deeply undemocratic country where people now routinely lose the Presidency despite overwhelming wins in the popular vote. In any other country, except maybe Venezuela, Hillary Clinton would have become POTUS after her win in the popular vote in 2016. The same fate almost overcame Biden in 2020, it was down to a few tens of thousands of votes in a few swing states.

Years ago, over beers at an international conference, I remember a discussion of America, that it was not just one uniform country. So what held it together? The answer, when someone offered it, was obvious. The army.

5 Likes

We still have PTSD from 2016. No one is going to get complaisant.

20 Likes

Insults both Native Americans and Indian diaspora. Way to go, Hulk!

9 Likes

Maybe others here can corroborate this, but I remember Barack and Michelle seeming worried in 2020–sounding alarms about democracy and so on, which was, and still is, warranted. But this time around they seem confident and (yes) joyful. I’ll take it!

7 Likes

I feel it’s worth noting that the press will never actually say out loud that being a shit-tier human is now a “core conservative principle.”

19 Likes

In the US it is common to talk about an urban-rural political divide. Ultra-rural populations, in particular, tend Trumpster. Such a divide also exists in Russia, but in the absence of much political choice, it tends to be regime-supportive or not so much. This problem has been highlighted by Ukraine’s invasion of Russian regions that don’t have the same economic advantages of the big cities of St. Pete and Moscow. Some citizens have welcomed the Ukrainian troops, and some Russian troops have looted and raped in areas where Moscow is likely to lose control anyway. Putin’s loss of control in rural areas is problematic as there is a lot of rural area in Russia, about 17% of the world’s land area. For this reason, Moscow will have to promise some large regional spending plans soon, even at a time when imports are down, government spending up and the economy is severely overheated.

6 Likes

The same phenomenon plays out in Hungary, where Budapest opposes Orbán, but he gets a majority overall through very strong support in small cities and rural areas

Of course, he also uses control of the media and other anti-democratic measures, but there are still multiple parties on the ballot, and rural people vote strongly for Orbán’s Fidesz party, while urban Hungarians don’t.

Same thing in the Czech Republic, where rural (and post-industrial) areas vote for the populist Andrej Babiš and the nativist Tomio Okamura (yes, the most prominent nativist politician in Czechia has a Japanese name, because his father was Japanese, and he’s very much against immigration from the “wrong” places).

5 Likes