The Making of ‘Saint Hillary’: Exploring The Media’s Early Role In Defining The First Lady

As someone that was in Washington, and followed this closely when Sec. Clinton shit the bed on healthcare, I would point out that her mania for secrecy worked against her. She should have made some attempt to reach out to the other stakeholders before delivering a take it or leave it plan.

If you don’t understand you have to massage a bunch of egos as part of any process in Washington, you won’t be successful in Washington. Of course, if you don’t care who gets credit, you can get a lot done.

All she had to do was look at why President Carter failed to get things through while he was president.

Oh, please! Didn’t you hear?! We’re not allowed to criticize Saint George anymore, since he says he is voting for a Democrat for the first time in his life because of Trump. Yes, a man who has done nothing but shit on every Democrat and every Democratic initiative during his whole journalistic career and suddenly he is the Virgin Pure!

Pardon my Esperanto but, uh, Fuck him!

2 Likes

" crucify MoDo"

I haven’t been able to read The Dowdy One since she unleashed a cheapshot barrage on Bill Clinton, and got a Pulitzer for it.

2 Likes

Maybe if Hillary had pics of her showing her ta-tas posted on the Internet like our current “classy” First Lady - you know, the “Genius” who can speak 6 languages and has an architecture degree - she might have been treated more fairly.

I mean, who knew?!

2 Likes

Fuck George Will and every other one of those Sunday Morning gasbags.

That S.o.B. should stick to baseball - it is the only thing he is good at.

I do wish someone would tell him that a bow tie doesn’t actually make him smarter.

2 Likes

…and they’ll NEVER ask Empress Melanoma to bake a few dozen snickerdoodles, since she has that “NO BAKING” clause in her pre-nup.

2 Likes

Closed door policy planning meetings In DC are not uncommon. Never have been. The secrecy hysteria was devious tactic used by insurance industry to be able to shut down any policy idea they opposed.

2 Likes

I seem to recall an episode of “Seinfeld” where Kramer remarks to Elaine how crisp and clean George Will always seems when he appears on television, and Elaine says, “He’s also extremely intelligent.”, to which Kramer replies, “Oh, really? I never thought so.”

The first time I saw that I nearly peed in my pants from laughter.

5 Likes

<snark>
I think Al Gore had not yet invented the Internet during Hillary’s time as First Lady.
</snark>

1 Like

OT but…

BWAHAHA, assholes!

2 Likes

And Gore would have become president if it wasn’t for all of those hanging Chad Wolfs!

2 Likes

“… Internet …”

Heh. I was on the Internet (or what would become the Internet) back in the early 1980s. In the 1990s, though, only the smarter people were on it.

Because established Washington politicians detested those from outside the Beltway like Jimmy Carter and the Clintons. It sounds like you may have been part of that Washington swamp.

If Democrats had been more supportive of Clinton prior to 1994, there may have never been a Speaker Gingrich. Yet Clinton’s popularity persisted while generic Democrats not so much.

6 Likes

Uhh, I was referring to Michael Kelly.

1 Like

My sincere apologies. I’ll remove my comment.

Forgive my touchiness, please. The heat is overwhelming. Again, my apologies.

2 Likes

No worries—I wasn’t nearly precise enough!

2 Likes

Thank you for being so gracious.

3 Likes

That was Sally Quinn, the wife of Washington Post editor Ben Bradley. “This is our town and they come here and mess it up for us”.

3 Likes

Kelly, himself, was a polarizing figure and was one of the more strident “contrarian liberals”, so popular in the 90s, esp. at The New Republic. He had mentored/edited fabulist Stephen Glass and went on to be a visible warhawk in the run-up to the Iraq War, dying in Iraq. He was a notorious liar and cheapshot maker.

3 Likes

But this particular community happens to be in the nation’s capital. And the people in it are the so-called Beltway Insiders – the high-level members of Congress, policymakers, lawyers, military brass, diplomats and journalists who have a proprietary interest in Washington and identify with it.

They call the capital city their “town.”

And their town has been turned upside down.

With some exceptions, the Washington Establishment is outraged by the president’s behavior in the Monica Lewinsky scandal. The polls show that a majority of Americans do not share that outrage. Around the nation, people are disgusted but want to move on; in Washington, despite Clinton’s gains with the budget and the Mideast peace talks, people want some formal acknowledgment that the president’s behavior has been unacceptable. They want this, they say, not just for the sake of the community, but for the sake of the country and the presidency as well.

And the execrable Joe Lieberman was quoted in her filthy little screed:

“This is our town,” says Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, the first Democrat to forcefully condemn the president’s behavior. “We spend our lives involved in talking about, dealing with, working in government. It has reminded everybody what matters to them. You are embarrassed about what Bill Clinton’s behavior says about the White House, the presidency, the government in general.”

And the detestable Quinn ends her retching with this noxious spew:

Even those who have to deal with or publicly support the administration do so grudgingly. They say that regardless of whether his fortunes improve, Bill Clinton has essentially lost the Washington Establishment for good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/quinn110298.htm

Sally Quinn held dinner cocktail parties for criminals in ties and yet she was had the vapors when the Arkansans in the White House wouldn’t abide her snobbish circle jerk and a sex scandal “sullied their town”.

The piece is a worthwhile read just to note all the Washington gasbags and frauds she quotes - Andrea Mitchell, Chris Matthews, Alan Simpson, Cokie Roberts, David Broder, and the aforementioned Lieberman, among others.; a true rogues’ gallery of detestable reprobates.

Looking back all these years, with a proto-fascist in the WH, the most polite thing one can say is “how quaint”.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available