The Long, Brutal Public Health Cost Of Hurricanes

Originally published at: The Long, Brutal Public Health Cost Of Hurricanes

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version. Hurricane Milton’s Aftermath In Florida Hurricane Milton made landfall at 8:30 p.m. ET Wednesday near Siesta Key, Florida, just south of the Tampa area, sparing the bay from a worst-case storm surge scenario while hitting…

1 Like

76 Likes

Good Morning, 11/5 is getting closer and then it will be Madam President.

60 Likes

I can’t top Seth Cotlar here.

He is however the ass of a very quick horse.

67 Likes

Well there’s one cool cat safe and accounted for.

18 Likes

Any rethug that wants you to trust government help during disasters, not many, needs to remember the words of their previous god, St Ronnie, “the eight most dangerous words are, ‘I’m from the government, I’m here to help.’”
ETA. They’ve been spreading this shit for over forty years.

38 Likes

Maybe. We hope. It’s likely but not a certainty.

Lotta misogyny and bigotry out there (i.e., “Old School Thinking”).

84 Likes

47 Likes

I guess regaining the house is something, one out of three ain’t bad and Jeffries can kick off investigations that will be immediately stonewalled by TCF.
Skeletor and the Canadian blobfish were always going to be reelected, unfortunately.

8 Likes

I grew up in New Orleans. Katrina was 19 years ago, and it’s still a dividing line between Then and Now for many people I know. Even my mother, who still lives there, talks about the new people in her synagogue as if the city has, just now, finally turned a corner.

You move on, but you never really forget.

61 Likes

He’s good at doing certain things, none of which benefit society as a whole, comport with the rule of law, or exemplify righteous Christian behavior.

28 Likes

So, a uselss drone that contributes nothing but gametes, eh?

15 Likes

19 Likes

Fuck Ohio.

26 Likes

Just trying to maintain a positive outlook. Hard to reconcile polling when NYT/Siena has Kamala up 3 nationally yet Quinnipiac and Cook Political Report show us losing ground in MI and WI senate races. Fingers crossed that polling is missing on Roe v Wade backlash, democratic enthusiasm, etc.

54 Likes

ongoing recovery will take years

From one storm.

Add multiple disasters of increasing frequency and power, and I would say we’re seeing the gradual deterioration of our standard of living.

Thank global warming and the Republican Party.

49 Likes

https://www.thedailybeast.com/watch-baby-donkey-rides-out-hurricane-milton-in-farmers-bedroom?ref=home?ref=home

A Florida married couple who own a hobby farm between Tampa and Orlando welcomed their baby donkey, Cash, and a cast of other beloved critters into their home Wednesday so they could ride out Hurricane Milton together. “Cash is in for the night❤️ He has such a calming presence,” wrote Sara Weldon and Rick Bass in a video posted to their TikTok account, which shows the baby donkey indoors and seeking out cuddles from Bass as he checks for storm updates on a computer. A video they posted overnight showed Cash resting on the bedroom floor, with five dogs spread out across the room. Other animals who sheltered inside included a batch of baby chickens. “The storm passed, the house is okay, all of us inside are okay,” said Milton, in an updateon Thursday morning, in which she tearfully shared the news that all the animals on their property—including larger cattle and donkeys that couldn’t come inside—made it through the night.

44 Likes

I thought you were Welsh, not Canadian.

9 Likes

Up three nationally is an EC loss. Vibes don’t count, votes do.

5 Likes

6 Likes