The Jan. 6 Select Committee & Disinformation: Start Pre-bunking The Lies Now | Talking Points Memo

The U.S. House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol is likely to run headlong into the same kinds of high-volume, toxic disinformation that fueled the insurrection itself. Because fact-finding takes considerable time and resources, and lies are fast and cheap, the Select Committee’s work risks being submerged by a tidal flood of BS, jeopardizing any institutional impact its findings might hold, not to mention accountability for the insurrection’s ultimate ringleaders.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1389729

“The Mueller Report offers a forewarning”

Has anyone seen or heard of the whereabouts of those 10 missing counts of obstruction?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Mueller?

16 Likes

I think you got your answer in the echoes here…

5 Likes

Start with AG Garland and DOJ Records of that report.

5 Likes

In truth’s battle against lies, silence is disinformation’s best ally.

Hopefully we’ll get some juicy live testimony before congress to keep the ball rolling. A couple dates to circle:

Oct 14: kash patel and dirtyshirt bannon testify before House select committee
Oct 20: david dempsey (pound boy rioter who’s facing felony charges) appears in court

6 Likes

shhh…he is napping

3 Likes

There is no such word as “Pre-bunking.”
That sounds like a way to stack twin beds.

Stop trying to be clever with words—until you hire someone who’s actually clever.

3 Likes

You’re adding nothing to the discourse here by declaring yourself the arbiter of correct word usage and word play.

6 Likes

Wasn’t trying to add to the so-called discourse.
Nor did I declare myself any sort of arbiter.

I was talking about a failed neologism and how it trivializes the story.

3 Likes

I’m good with a chart showing each state or the state in question; its’ number of official recounts and their results; and additional recounts/results. For me, that would clearly state the facts. Isn’t it incumbent on the defendant to produce proof of their claims? They can’t and won’t. Cease & Desist orders on their lies might help; plus contempt of Congress.

6 Likes

I, for one, like “pre-bunking”.

Thank you Jon Steinman for a great essay.

4 Likes

I don’t think Hot Wheels Abbott is going to like dis information…

6 Likes

41% of Texans are a lost cause.

6 Likes

Biden won Bexar County 58-40, so Abbott being underwater in San Antonio isn’t exactly surprising.

8 Likes

Was in San Antonio in late '71/early '72 went to an opera house or theater there . The architecture and furnishings were all oversize, the box seats were built into the concave sidewalls. do you know if it is still there?

2 Likes

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less. ’ ‘The question is,’ said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things. ’ ‘The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that’s all.”

4 Likes

Sorry, no clue. San Antonio is 6 hrs. away from here.

1 Like

The Jan. 6 Select Committee & Disinformation: Start Pre-bunking The Lies Now

Bunking…
Hmm
I know what de-bunking is…
Pre-bunking?

Sounds …odd.
I know what a bunk is. Slept in one as a kid.
De-bunk could mean waking up and rising out of bed. But pre-bunk? Napping on the couch?

debunking a lie before it has traveled all the way around the world. prophylactic debunking.

4 Likes

Oy!

headbang

1 Like