The Irony Of Conservative Christians’ Opposition To Immigration

President Donald Trump’s base simultaneously cares deeply about defending Christianity and restraining immigration.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1243391

Irony is as lost on conservative Christians as the Gospel of Jesus.

Matthew 2:13-15 – Jesus and parents flee Herod’s search for the child.

Matthew 5:10-11 –“Blessed are those who are persecuted.”

Matthew 25:31-46 – “…I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”

Luke 3:11 – “Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none…”

Luke 4:16-21 – “…Bring good news to the poor…release to the captives…sight to the blind…let the oppressed go free.”

Romans 12:13 – “Mark of the true Christian: “…Extend hospitality to strangers…”

The author foolishly believes the evangelical and conservative Catholic movements are truly Christian. They aren’t. They are heresy wrapped in the patina of Christian messaging.

21 Likes

It seems to me that American Republican Evangelicals are no longer in it for the religion … they’re in it for the power and privilege. And people not like them are not welcome in the club.

17 Likes

Other than that “Trumpets” are neither Christian nor Conservative" this story has it about right.

Trumpets claiming to be Christian do not support the values and principles advanced by Jesus Christ and there for by definition are not Christian regardless of what they claim.

Trumpets claiming to be conservative support policies that fly in the face of conservative principles such as Trumps Tax Increase know as tariffs and therefore are not conservative regardless of what they claim.

5 Likes

BUT, BUT, but…in the Rambo Jesus version of the Bible it clearly states;

“Suffer the little Rich, White Children to come unto me, for they, and ONLY THEY, are blessed in the eyes of the Lord.”

10 Likes

Luke 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

5 Likes

If Jesus returns would the conservative Christian’s allow him to come to America?
After all he is not really one of us.

7 Likes

Talkin’ 'bout saving souls, and all the time leeching.
Dealing in dirt,
And stealing in the name of the Lord.

7 Likes

He’d have to prove he was not likely to become a ‘public charge.’ Proof of education and a good-paying job would be required. Carpenter and fisherman might be OK. Might have to get a new pair of shoes, too. And certainly stop dressing in those robes. But that thing turning over the tables at the temple might be a strike against him.

4 Likes

Pontius Trump:

“When Nazareth sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re bringing sinners. They’re bringing baptisms. They’re long-hairs. And some, I assume, are good people.”

18 Likes

Jesus and his parents had to flee into Egypt to avoid getting killed by Herod’s soldiers. They were refugees. Egypt did not throw them out nor did they persecute them, call them vile names.

7 Likes

In these times, it’s wise to remind the world at large that just because someone calls themselves a Christian doesn’t mean they are. The same thing was true of those who owned slaves and claimed to be Christian and those that support NeoNazis today.

No one is going to let Republicans get away with using Jesus as a shield to defend them from their bigotry and greed. The Gospels of Jesus like all the other great religious philosophies of the world belong to the ages not to the short term opportunism of political grifters.

The Truth will live on long after the GOP goes the way of the Whig Party. Republicans can’t escape it.

7 Likes

You haven’t seen the illustrations in the GOP Bible of Baby Jesus in a cage?

2 Likes

American Christians

are neither.

4 Likes

If He could walk on water last time, I bet Jesus could scale Trump’s Wall in a single bound with ease.

2 Likes

GOP rank and file voting against their interests is nothing new. In this case it’s evangelicals reducing their political clout by keeping co-religious Hispanic immigrants out. Not much different from blue collar workers or farmers voting GOP

2 Likes

My understanding is that American Christians generally do not consider Roman Catholics as being “Christian.” There has been and continues to be anti-Catholic prejudice. So, opposing immigration of “Catholics” is not inconsistent with the “faith” of the American conservative Christians. And, now that the Pope is back to being more progressive than the German Benedict, American Christians have stopped embracing the Pope as they did with Benedict.

3 Likes

An Old Testament hymn for the new “Christian” regime.

Pharaoh he sits in his tower of steel
The dogs of money all at his heel
Magicians cry “Oh truth! Oh real!”
We’re all working for the Pharaoh

A thousand eyes, a thousand ears
He feeds us all, he feeds our fears
Don’t stir in your sleep tonight, my dears
We’re all working for the Pharaoh

2 Likes

A blanket statement that is patently false. There are many Christians of many denominations that are committed to economic and social justice, doing good work in their communities. I am one of those Christians. It is harmful and disingenuous to lump all Christians (American or otherwise) in with so-called Christians who don’t attend church regularly, don’t read and attempt to understand the Gospel, and/or who use religion as a weapon to justify misogyny, hate, and discrimination. Please be careful about making gross generalizations about groups of people. It’s as harmful as what comes out of Trump’s tweets and mouth daily.

5 Likes

Irony is wasted on politicians

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available