The Great Equalizer

There are already plenty of reasons for Weekender readers who are not yet TPM members to sign up to join the TPM community during our annual membership drive, even though we have, in fact, already exceeded our goal of signing up 1,000 new members. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485805

What?! Frist?

43 Likes

Shockingly, Trump’s email chain letter defense did not stop the trial

16 Likes

Trust me, ya wouldn’t want Frist.
Really, the cat is so much better than that.

27 Likes

Trump likes comparing himself to Jesus and claims the Bible is his favorite book (along with The Art of the Deal). I hope some reporter asks him if he remembers how many pre-trial motions Jesus filed to try to avoid the crucifixion.

42 Likes

A businessman, a drug dealer, a CEO, a petty thief, a president—but let’s talk about somebody else than Donald Trump.

26 Likes

While in Iowa this past January, Trump suggested that Democrats were registering migrants to vote: “I think they really are doing it because they want to sign these people up to vote. I really do.” He added: “They can’t speak a word of English for the most part, but they’re signing them up.”

He couldn’t just let it go with the lie that Dems are signing up undocumented migrants, he had to insinuate that people should be required to speak English to vote.

Someone should tell him that in heavily Hispanic areas, ballots are often printed in both English and Spanish. Of course that would just lead to another conspiracy theory, about how the Spanish ballots only have Dem candidates listed. It never ends with this guy.

38 Likes

"… it’s run by globalist, deep state uniparty.”

He makes it sound like that’s a bad thing.

12 Likes

“Jesus was too woke and his lawyers were globalists from the uniparty. I blame the parents. where are the parents? What’s this guy’s father ever done for us? And no one knows more about wooden crosses than I do. One of the Romans, big guys with golden eagles, I love eagles, came to me with tears in his eyes and said all three Corintians were…”

34 Likes

Yet more paradoxical political effects for the Biden administration (from the WaPo):

The economy is revving up at a terrible time for Biden

Another of the challenges that could just ruin a somnambulent candidate’s campaign!

18 Likes

If TSF’s trial was happening in the Eastern District of Virginia (a/k/a The Rocket Docket), the jury would be picked before the lunch break.

9 Likes

Other headlines we may see in the coming months:

“Local Heat Wave Due to Biden Inaction on Climate Change”

“Biden Opposes World Peace: Nuclear War Likely”

“AI is Trouble for Biden”

20 Likes

OT, but I was just checking tonight’s movies and noticed that TCM is airing Grey Gardens at 10:45 p.m. (EDT). A mesmerizing documentary. I recommend it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Gardens

8 Likes

Having served as an election officer for seven years in my county, I’m certain that only citizens vote. The number of checks and re-checks in the registration process plus check-ins at the polls and verification of mail-in ballots is unbelievable. Trump and his new friend Mike Johnson continue to just make sh-it up to fearmonger and sow chaos. It’s un-American, I say

43 Likes

There’s a lot of talk about how trial-by-jury is the great equalizer. A businessman, a drug dealer, a CEO, a petty thief, a president — they all submit to the same process of judgment by a jury of their peers, essentially pulled randomly off the street before selection.

Trial by jury is a luxury of the rich in America. Plea bargains account for more than 95% of all convictions in state cases and 98% in federal cases. Few things are less equalizing than the American system of jurisprudence. Throw in the absolute inequality of the bail system and you understand the increasingly popular truism that it is better to be a rich guilty man in America than a poor innocent one.

36 Likes

On last night’s “Washington Week in Review”, one of the panelists referred to TSF as the true Speaker of the House, rather than the reincarnation of Wally Cox.

8 Likes

Also, do check out the Fred Armisen and Bill Hader mocumentary based on Grey Gardens!

11 Likes

Agreed. But I’m now recalling the Madoff and Enron scandals that got good press but then again Nothing Changed. The judicial system is corrupted to its core.

1 Like

And should the ecconomy slow, I’m SURE the WP ans WSJ would run a responcible and nuanced headline like “Biden cools the economy to help Americans struggling to buy homes amidst high interest rates”

Yeah, right. That’s a good one.

12 Likes

So, what does this new proposed law do, this law that Johnson and Trump claim will solve the supposed problem of non-citizens voting? They don’t actually vote, so the law can’t do that, prevent them from voting. A law to keep me from playing Bach’s chaconne on the violin won’t actually do that, because my lack of ambition has already taken care of that particular non-threat.

This is completely in line with all the voter suppression laws the Rs got passed to deal with the non-problem of Ds stealing elections by impersonating voters. Voter ID laws of course didn’t prevent what wasn’t happening, but they did accomplish the real goal, making it harder to vote, especially for people with fewer resources, the sort of people Rs especially don’t want voting.

So, what does the proposed law actually do? Neither the USA Today nor the WaPo item cited in the post go into that at all. Maybe it’s just kabuki, shriller language about voter ID without any actual voter suppression. If so, the content of this law is irrelevant and no problem that the media isn’t talking about it

But, this cycle, with the entire R party at least theoretically having Trump Really Won as its sole credo and the only plank in its election platform, it seems possible that Trump and his chief House whip at the 2021 joint session for Trump Really Won, might have concocted some fresh horror that actually threatens to steal the 2024 election. Maybe the content of the law would be newsworthy in that case.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available