The Craziest Moments Of Cassidy Hutchinson’s Account Of Jan. 6

In reading the testimony, I don’t believe she recounted that she was told trump assaulted, but to lunge toward… The Secret Service statement is “Trump did not assault”…which is really different.

3 Likes

And the question would be, why did they lie to her? She says Engel did not dispute what she was told. So what would be the motivation. And what job does Engel end up with eventually in Trump world?

Also in my head is the memory that Biden and crew did not trust the secret service folks closely associated with Trump. They replaced that group for Biden with previously known agents IIRC.

14 Likes

Why would she fabricate this story? She gains nothing.
Why would they say it didn’t happen? Anyone have an answer?

3 Likes

There’s three categories of GOP operative evident in the hearings thus far.

The first category are people like Hutchinson, several of Pence’s staff, and others like Jeffrey Rosen who were clearly troubled at the time, said contemporaneously that Trump’s plans were illegal or improper, and came forward and presented evidence to that effect. Basically the good Samaritans in this context, whatever you think of their judgment in working for the Trump administration in the first place. Pretty easy to explain their motives for coming forward and coming clean.

The second category are people like Giuliani, Flynn, Meadows, et al. People who egged on the insurrection, acted from consciousness of guilt, and declined to testify or took the fifth. Pretty obvious what their motives are. They’re guilty and they know it.

The third basket is the enigma: people like Pat Cipillone. All the witness testimony indicates they tried to dissuade Trump and members of the second category from going ahead with their criminal scheme, and basically did the right thing in the end. But why do they refuse to cooperate with the J6 Committee? It’s not as if keeping silent will save a career in GOP politics; other witnesses have already made sure that Cipillone’s reputation, and the reputation of similar people is mud in the Republican Party. Are they afraid of being killed? Or, more likely, are the cringing instincts of dog-like loyalty still so strong that they can’t publicly acknowledge what everyone knows?

15 Likes

She said those things UNDER OATH. Lets see these other assholes do the same. It’s one thing to say things to the media, it’s another to take the oath and testify.

As a side note, I find this to be totally predictable behavior. :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

The dad committed a crime; the bro-in-law was involved and cut a deal against dad. DAD hired a hooker to seduce b-in-law, filmed the act, and tried to black-mail him to show said movie to his SISTER (BIL’s wife!); he decided he ‘really’ did not want to go to jail and told the prosecution.

Witness tampering was added to the list of crimes.

4 Likes

Love your three categories, and basically agree with them. But it occurs to me there is another category, one that TFG and Stone are in (maybe Flynn, too). They don’t seem to KNOW right from wrong. The distinction seems to be lost on them, or absent from their background for some reason. :thinking:

6 Likes

Chris Christie noted that the Kushner case was quite possibly the most disgusting thing he’d seen as a prosecutor.

4 Likes

I have no clue who you’re talking about.

Did he ever check the mirror?

1 Like

I was referring to the previous post re Jared Kushner’s FATHER’S criminal past.

3 Likes

I forgot /s

3 Likes

Why did they not come forward earlier? I think that the limo driver and Bobby Engel will have some explainin’ to do.

Any lying will catch up with them. And the Ornato guy in the office will nail them. Looks like there was lower level conspiracy among the minions already underfoot that necessitated that Ms. Hutchinson testify urgently. Also, I hope someone is following the money. There is some serious quid pro quo changing hands as this unfolds.

5 Likes

Oh, they know.

Assholes like Flynn and Stone act with bravado and fake tough-guy affect in front of fawning QAnon crowds or shithead radio jocks at jerkwater AM radio stations. But, as you saw on tape today with Flynn being questioned, they are quite conscious of their guilt. For all of the fact that you can’t get them to shut up on any other occasion, in front of a J6 interrogator, they take the fifth and clam up.

16 Likes

The Secret Service has been a rat’s nest of corruption, drunkenness on duty, and all manner of dereliction for years.

Someone refresh my memory – when Biden took office, wasn’t there some question about his personal detail, and issues as to whether agents’ right-wing bias might, shall we say, come between them and protecting the president?

13 Likes

They do know right from wrong. But they are dismissive of being fenced in by the concepts. So they will proceed to do what they wish. They see themselves as above the need to comply. Never let them off the hook, they are well aware their actions are criminal.

3 Likes

That is what I remember. They replaced the agents with known.

2 Likes

Didn’t know who Tony Ornato was, but he apparently?? flipped from Secret Service to political staff…and then back? WTH?

From https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1541945574303432705

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/secret-service-to-make-changes-to-presidential-detail-to-bring-on-agents-who-worked-with-biden/2020/12/30/d6fb8fe8-49ce-11eb-a9d9-1e3ec4a928b9_story.html
“Ornato will be leaving the White House and is slated to return to the Secret Service to become the assistant director overseeing the agency’s Rowley Training Center, according to the people familiar with the changes, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe personnel decisions. The posting is prestigious but outside of the president’s immediate protection team.”

2 Likes

from https://twitter.com/PiaGuerra/status/1541881124577652736

4 Likes

Also

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available