The Billionaire Governor Who’s Been Sued Dozens of Times for Millions in Unpaid Bills | Talking Points Memo

This story first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1311037
1 Like

The unrelenting greed, chicanery, and rampant immorality of the GOP on full display, and the deplorables keep voting for them.

SMH

24 Likes

Gov Justice and the criminal in the WH have a great deal in common. Two failed businessmen, mobsters.

24 Likes

Yep.

He does not pay his bills. I know that very well,” said Will Brownlow, president of New London Tobacco Market Inc., which last September won a $35 million ruling

9 Likes

I agree with this article, and that’s all I should say.

6 Likes

It always amazes me how voters will choose the label over the substance of a candidate. It’s like buying a product because it has a fancy label, but the fine-print ingredients are full of things that will make a person suffer and die.

I wonder how many voters who have been screwed over by Justice companies will vote for the person who profited from their suffering.

8 Likes

I wonder how his tax statements look.

5 Likes

totally O/T but so well done

29 Likes

Jim Justice is a living caricature. Like a Thomas Nast cartoon brought to life.

16 Likes

I say yes and lot’s of it

12 Likes

Another example of right wingers voting for someone who will do them harm.

I. Just. Don’t. Get. It.

5 Likes

The answer to situations like this is so obvious…and has been for a very long time…is universal health care.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Needs a top hat and cane. Plus, Trump looks positively svelte standing next to him. (Not that it’s right to fat-shame Justice, but dayum.)

When the tugs exonerate each other

1 Like

That’s an excellent article. I’ve seen first-hand the efforts of huge clients to skip out on legal bills and the frustration of attempting to collect. Huge, extraordinarily wealthy corporate entities can simply not pay, and do so with an unfortunately realistic sense of impunity. That this guy and his family routinely screw over their employees and contractors is evil.

15 Likes

West Virginia is one of the most beautiful states in the country.
It has traditionally been governed by powerful and rapacious men who built their fortunes by cheating the citizens of WVA.

That’s why it’s a poor state, where the natural beauty is scarred by horrific Appalachian squalor.

15 Likes

This governor is awesome. Andy Beshear hits it out of the park.

And the guy who hung his effigy

Got fired

8 Likes

There are few industries that have historically been more exploitative than coal, it damages the environment, miners health; it has long rap sheet on denial of workers rights, repression (including assassinations, bombing, and mass murder), company towns, company stores, abysmal safety conditions.

And the people of West Virginia yearn for the good old days and want more of those lousy coal jobs.

5 Likes

They yearn for what they know.

A lot of poor people remain poor because they don’t know they have any other choices except the ones offered to them by the people who keep them poor and uneducated.
They don’t like being poor. They just don’t have any access to resources that would give them a way out of poverty.
It’s often done to them intentionally.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available