The Art Of The Sentencing

That’s debatable.

28 Likes

'twas the height of fashion in the '70s.

15 Likes

I think that she prefers low tops, but I’d be fine with either.

11 Likes

Great thread on Russian China and Iran meddling in our elections. Chaos is the goal.

Thread by @C_C_Krebs on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App

17 Likes

It’s like they know that a Trump presidency would end up destabilizing our country politically, economically and environmentally.

32 Likes

Just saw this on FB.

75 Likes

Wherein the Guardian asks itself a question and sort of answers it in a manner that makes one wonder why they posed it to begin with?

But, increasingly, many others are not persuaded, including some of his own supporters.

36 Likes

The Four Putzmen of the Derpocalypse.

34 Likes

It’s not hard to project that outcome. Just because 1/2 of our electorate can’t draw a line between two points doesn’t mean our opponents can’t.

There has always been an anti-intellectual vein in America politics. MAGA taps into that and doubles down, selling fantasy as reality. Even if he loses, it’s very hard to have a functioning society where half of the people think covering your mouth when you cough infringes on their rights.

33 Likes

Hey now, give the man some credit. Most holocaust deniers say it didn’t happen at all. It’s right there in the name. At least he’s acknowledging the deaths happened. Baby steps, baby steps…
/s

8 Likes

When the thread starts with “I’m confident both Russia, China, and Iran . . .” I’m a little less than confident about the underling research.

“not much concrete to suggest minds have changed on specific issues due to efforts like we saw unveiled this week.”

Campaigns spend god-awful amounts of money to influence elections, a situation that has been amplified by Citizens United. That reality is all one needs to support the contention that Russia, China, and Iran are justified in thinking they can change minds on specific issues.

7 Likes

There is one more thing we can say about the future. To quote the great Criswell, “The future – where we will all spend the rest of our lives.”

18 Likes

The sticking point is mentioned in the article: “Two Trump officials – Hope Hicks and Madeleine Westerhout – testified about actions that took place in the White House.”

Apparently simply taking place in that location was enough to taint the evidence, which the jury heard in court. There is no way to know to what degree that affected their decision to convict Trump. If nothing else, it’s something for Trump to hang an appeal on.

My wild guess is that Merchan will go ahead with sentencing after the election. Any prison term would be stayed during appeal because it will only be a few months jail time and the appeal would take much longer. I suppose he could rule that it’s a mistrial and a new trial could begin without the tainted evidence, but I don’t know if anyone in the legal system has the patience for that.

6 Likes

Trump rants, resurfaces sexual assault allegations for 49 unfocused minutes

WaPo actually tells the story. What is happening in this world.

That word “unfocused” is doing a lot of work there. But I’ll take it. A lot better than their usual sane-washing.

36 Likes

So is it wrong of me to giggle about how DonOLD will still be paying his defense lawyers for a longer period of time? I mean all the GOP monies are his monies, and DonOLD’s biggest concern right now would be sentencing from a trial the found him guilty.
I’ll also add that it must suck to be GOP candidate who isn’t named Trump on the 2024 ballot because monies that usually flow to Republican candidates are not flowing, or not flowing as freely as they did in the past.

9 Likes

36 Likes

28 Likes

38 Likes

One of the many absurdities of that Supreme Court decision - you can’t use evidence of the crime to prove the crime. This Courtr has now sanctioned Nixon’s claim that “When the president does it, that means it’s not illegal.”

24 Likes

I demand more Wizards with Welsh accents and Hobbits with a West Indies lilt.

16 Likes