The 1970 Kent State Shootings Show Danger Of Trump Plan To Deploy Troops To Crush Legal Protests

Tin solders and Nixon coming we’re finally on our own. This summer I hear the drummer, four dead in Ohio.

9 Likes

Kent State was followed by protest around the country, many of which also were violently suppressed. See the city of Berkeley, Governor Reagan and his pit bull Ed Meese.

5 Likes

There is a piece of art by Don Drumm (probably Ohio’s most famous artist/sculptor) just 20 yards from Taylor Hall (see map). When I covered the 15th anniversary of the shootings for the Beacon Journal I saw the bullet hole caused by one of the shots that went straight through the sculpture. Made me stop and think. Two bullets also went through a tree very close to the sculpture but of course they disappeared.

2 Likes

“In 1886, agitation nationally to win the Eight-Hour Work Day led to seven tragic deaths in the Bay View neighborhood of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. On May 5, 1886, Wisconsin State Militia were ordered to fire upon a parade of striking workers at the Bay View Rolling Mills. The dead included a 12-year-old. Still to this day this was the bloodiest day in Wisconsin labor history.” https://www.wisconsinlaborhistory.org/wisconsin-labor-history-bibliography/bay-view-massacre-milwaukee-wisconsin/

3 Likes

I was terrified to go home for the summer to Ohio that year. I reached to the back of my closet in the dorm, and found a skirt of my mother’s to wear on the plane rather than look like a college student. Not rational, I know, but teenagers.

5 Likes

The Right had an even deeper lock on the group sentiment then.

Money amd church groups of the Confederacy maintained Jim Crow for a hundred years after the Civil War. That’s the level.

2 Likes

Yes, Whites are not a protected class if they resist. As the headline and Josh’s post today illustrate – thuggery and the Arlington worker refusing to press charges for fear of MAGA retaliation – the goal is suppression, quashing all resistance so shooting is not even necessary, just the threat of it along with harassment, maybe the occasional beating or disappearance into gulag.

That’s where Trump wants to go and there are no protected classes if they are in the way.

ETA: Josh’s followup post from Reader RS viz “let’s not sugarcoat it: assaulting a federal employee in the performance of her duties is a felony (18 USC 111), …that we’ve reached the point where neither [federal employee nor Army] wanted to [press charges] is not a good sign.” suggests we are already more than halfway there.

1 Like

Not caring a whit about people,their plight or future,having weekend warriors roust protesters with a legitimate point of view is the least of his concerns…

Yes, indeed. I was a junior in college, at a large university and remember well the Kent State killings. They extinguished my trust in the American government’s promise of being of, for and by the people.

Some in high positions are like Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer’s Apprentice - wielding power they may likely not have the wisdom to do responsibly. Trump, MAGA and the Project25 crowd are a direct and imminent danger to the American experiment in government of, by and for the people.

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO - at least when Trump and the modern GOP are on any ballot.

3 Likes

Trump, MAGA and the dead hand of Rush Limbaugh are testament to the fact that the Old Confederacy Lost Cause Myth mentality still stalks the land.

As a bard of the South observed…., and some idiot traitor running through the US Capitol at the behest of Trump waving the Battle Flag of the Confederacy, so threateningly and clearly demonstrated……

“The past is never dead. It’s not even past.”
William Faulkner.

3 Likes

I was going to quote what you quoted. Our government has gotten to where it is making decisions on dealing with thugs like Trump based on who they are and how much money they have. I know it is expensive to hold a billionaire thug to account but it is something we have to do if we want to remain free.

2 Likes

[quote=“jtx, post:19, topic:252726, full:true”]

BS!
[/quote]”

Sadly not. Nixon, had recklessly expanded and escalated the Vietnam War by bombing the neighboring countries Cambodia and Laos, with which America was nominally at peace. Demonizing legitimate student protests against the widening war was a tactic employed by Nixon as a way to enhance his feelings of power and control.

Trump’s excesses are a direct result of Ford’s pardon of Nixon, which perversely ensured his wish that it would mean that “Our long national nightmare is over.” ensured the opposite. Trump took to heart Nixon’s deeply incorrect view “That when the President does it, that means that it is not illegal, by definition.”

Trump is normalizing hate as a political tool and has ceaselessly sought to instill hate in his followers, as a necessary precursor to widespread political violence as is outlined in Project25.

1 Like

I do not know if you intend to correct me. Or inform me. Let me just say this. I served in the USMC. I also did a tour of duty in Vietnam. On my return from Vietnam, I began my protest against the war while still in the USMC. So I hardly need your schooling on the subject.

I absolutely hate the idiotic thinking that all military personnel were for the war and therefore hated protesters and wanted to shoot them.

Dont lecture me.

By the way it was Johnson who widen the War with his false Gulf of Tonkin episode.

1 Like

I’m sorry to have triggered you. I apologize for any distress my words stirred up in you. I don’t know you and did not seek either to inform or school you. You were not my intended audience, Americans dazzled by Trump’s fool’s gold views are. I am truly saddened by the damage done to the American public which, as evidenced by your response, has even now, after a half century, not completely healed.

1 Like

the differnece being now everyone has guns and can fire back…which i think possibly ,this is what the maggots want…full scale civil war.

If they want full scale civil war they are out of their minds. Nobody should want violence. Not you not JD Vance, nobody. We need to keep our kids alive.

1 Like

i’m recalling that period of time’ i have 3 sons, one who was rapidly approachng draft age…i was talking to my family in CANADA , making plans to send them north.i met a young man, who was in the NAVY… He advised us to send them off as soon as possible…he was disgusted and frightened by what the US governmant was doing…drug use was rampaging thro; the young people, the beatles and other groups were singing their songs of protest…it was a very scarey time to be a young male in the USA…I can understand why so many turned to drugs to escape the fear of what was in store for them… i think one reason i so despise Trumpf and his ilk is that they were the ones who avoided all the ugly because they could buy their way out…and they fully supported NIXON and his war.

1 Like

My father was a WWII veteran who had served in combat and won a number of metals. The same year they did the draft lottery I was graduating from college and about to lose my deferment. My father, a life long Republican quietly came to me and said, “son I fought for this country and have seen enough of my friends die to last several generations. If you want to go to Canada I will pay for your ticket.” Unlike Donald Trump I got a high draft number in the lottery and was safe. What my father said to me was so far outside my father’s usual nature I never forgot it. My father wasn’t a “dirty fucking hippy.”

4 Likes

these AMERICANs have no idea what is in store for them,if TRUMPF gets back into office…i’m a really old person…i remember what happened to Germany and Italy after ww2…those leaders were literally strung up by threir thumbs, and their followers, if they were lucky, managed to excape to’friendly’ countries.however , many were hunted down and killed…i suppose the ones that were not caught, had to remain hidden for the rest of their lives…i see a parallal with the war in Ukraine…many ukrainians immigrated to Canada, now that country is under seige again…russia needs to read the history books,Ukraine, like the Basque people never, ever surrneder.

1 Like

the protest songs etc., sounded a lot like the songs sung by the IRISH…during the troubles…