Texas Judge Temporarily Blocks Abbott From Arresting Democratic Lawmakers

A Texas judge has granted temporary reprieve to Democratic lawmakers who fled the state in an attempt to block Republicans’ tranche of restrictive voting legislation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1383979
1 Like

For anyone wondering, Texas has a three-tier system for obtaining injunctive relief in civil cases. Step 1 is to request a temporary restraining order, which is what just happened in this case. The TRO lasts for two weeks, and can be extended for another two weeks beyond that. The TRO is not appealable, and can only be brought up for review on mandamus if the defendant is a Republican and so is the appellate court.

Step 2 is a temporary injunction, which can be appealed. If granted, it lasts through the trial of the case. Step 3 is a permanent injunction, which has to go through a full trial.

So, baby steps.

42 Likes

“Angry Republican threats to dispatch troopers to arrest, cuff, shackle, drag in, and cabin duly-elected lawmakers isn’t just meant to chill our speech and impair our ability to represent our districts; it has left our families, friends, and neighbors anxious for our wellbeing and safety,” said Texas Rep. Gina Hinojosa (D) in a statement.

Governor Abbott: “So, is lynching okay?”

24 Likes

Wow, crappy day for GQP Gubners. More please…

33 Likes

Attorney General Paxton: Absolutely!

18 Likes

Lieutenant Governor Patrick: “In fact, it’s required!”

18 Likes

When you’ve lost Kenny Paxton…

35 Likes

Local governments are also starting to get into open rebellion territory against Abbott’s orders prohibiting masking requirements. The Dallas and Houston school districts have both made masking mandatory when the school year starts, and I expect more are going to follow suit.

40 Likes

How come that’s true? (And thanks for bringing such nuts-and-bolts info about the legal particulars! Much appreciated!)

3 Likes

…and Governor Abbot had put so much work into installing cages on the Capitol building floor.

13 Likes

[quote=“dannydorko, post:6, topic:211277, full:true”]

The state of Mississippi concurs.

5 Likes

Scientist: Governor, we’ve determined that rats carry the plague from house to house. Therefore, we are undertaking a broad program to exterminate rats, and to keep them out of houses.
Abbott: Sorry, but we’re passing a law to make it unlawful to not have at least three rats in the childrens’ bedroom.
Scientist: Sir, that’s crazy. It will ensure that our kids get the plague. I think the town members should have the chance to vote on whether they want that.
Abbott: No voting. No one votes on anything except me and my friends, and maybe the rats.

30 Likes

Why, if not now, when?

So I guess Trump asked. but Paxton won’t do that for love, and Trump surely isn’t going to pay him.

1 Like

…and @txlawyer’s deadpan delivery notches another score.

(@theghostofeustacetilley is still in the lead, of course.)

16 Likes

Maybe he and his friends are the rats…hmmm?

7 Likes

It was my fond hope that was the answer! But as a Texan, I find little surprising in that state when it comes to Republicans.

3 Likes

The bottom line is the Courts are not going to save Texas or America from Republican voter suppression or for that matter voter nullification. In fact it is more likely than helping, the Courts as currently constituted will be, in fact are, part of the problem.

At a minimum the Senate will need to pass federal minimum standards. I actually doubt this will be enough as currently Republicans as opposed to Americans control both Texas and Federal Courts and will find any action by the Federal Government to set minimum voting standards for the States unconstitutional. Therefore, I believe that to save Democracy, Congress will need use its power to unfix the Federal Courts which will in turn allow voters to fix the state courts.

12 Likes

Bummer.

3 Likes

Because the Texas Supreme Court is 100% Republican.

18 Likes

The old Suspense radio program had a really hair-raising rendition of the story “Three Skeleton Key”.

The narrator wakes up at one point to see hordes of rats on the outside of the lighthouse windows, and Le Gleo, driven insane by the situation, tapping on the glass and saying “I hold the power of life and death; all I have to do is tap a little bit harder…” before he gets tackled.

Yeah, that’s the TX/FL GOP, right there.

5 Likes