Texas GOP Moves To Commandeer Elections In Houston

I would not take that bet.

2 Likes

“Heal the Divide” i.e., “Split the Vote”

https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1660808745385971713
]

Can’t wait to watch how many fall for this. That’ll be the end of the end and start the new chapter where the GQP begins building it’s permanent white supremacist Christian dominionist neofacist hegemony for real…and living in a blue state won’t save you.

Republicans can’t win elections without cheating.

2 Likes

Is it like the one that said a woman has a right to an abortion? I.e., will judge pubic hair and friends change it?

“Commandeer elections”. The very words are a gut punch to me.
This is Fascism 101. No jack boots or swastikas needed. Those are just window dressing.
The key element of fascism is the centrality of the state. One’s life belongs to the state. The state does not govern with the consent of the governed. That’s the DNA of fascism.

1 Like

Try to have a rudimentary sense of what is plausible and what is not.

Trump is not, in fact, president despite stupidly asking the courts to save his dumb ass something like 60 times. It wasn’t even close!

1 Like

[quote=“txlawyer, post:113, topic:237645, full:true”]
Try to have a rudimentary sense of what is plausible and what is not. [/quote]

Working on it. Just going by what I’ve seen and what has been reported about Uncle Clarence’s corruption.

I agree and I hadn’t mentioned trump.

1 Like

The robots and their high-frequency trading need to be Tobin-taxed. As a human, I have no problem waiting a couple extra billionths of a second for my trade. Sheesh.

https://www.thestreet.com/technology/s-p-sheds-500-billion-from-fake-pentagon-explosion

2 Likes

clarification: our right-wing billionaires (who fund the PACs) can complain about elections and results, and the APPOINTED Secretary of State will then handle the investigation. This should go well /s

3 Likes

DeSantis launch today. “You get no Bread with One Meatball” is a pretty good slogan for America’s greatest wealth-disparity state.

1 Like

Harlan Crow continues to duck Senate hearings on Clarence Thomas. One of the almost universal rules in codes of ethical conduct for high-level officials is that they should decline gifts, benefits, advantages, of any kind if they have any substantial value because it looks bad for the institution. Less mentioned is that even if the value or benefit of the gift is modest, it can never come repeatedly from the same source. This sure looks like straight-up bribery, a massive conflict of interest and harmful to the Court’s ostensible patina of impartiality.

2 Likes

Kevin McCarthy likes to quote Milton Friedman, seeing his as a champion of choice. Of course, there is less, not more, choice in late-stage capitalism. A good example is the luxury goods business, so many choices, but really just one.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1661312301612384257?s=20

My son does research on dogs. He was similarly surprised to find that three conglomerates account for most global dog food sales. One of the giants is Mars, a company I thought made candy bars. It’s quite a sensation to realize that what you perceive as choice is illusory.

2 Likes

Does it matter? If the state court says no, they’ll go to the Supreme Court. They will say, yeah, no problem, this is what our GOP benefactors want. They will find a way to stop Houston from voting and counting the votes there. Book it

It’s implicit in the whine. “Elections don’t matter because the courts will kill us anyway!”

Thanks. I kinda figured, since I didn’t remember seeing any concrete suggestions in the rants, but I’ve also seen some pretty standard comments from him so I figured it’s worth a shot to give him a chance to clarify.

1 Like

Classic absolute corruption.

1 Like

I wonder if the 55% of eligible Texas voters who stayed home in 2022 even care about this?

This number was down 7.3% from the 2018 midterms. Please don’t tell me this was from voter suppression. It is voter apathy and a strong cultural tradition of staying home on election day.

Today is the one-year anniversary of the Uvalde murders and when Greg Abbott was up for re-election, this town cast its votes for him and didn’t care that he is one of the most pro-gun governors there is. They like their guns, those folks in Texas, and they’re not going to give them up just because 19 children were massacred.

3 Likes

There’s a new and better day on the horizon because mainstream journalists realize they can’t keep pretending SCOTUS is an honorable, upright institution any longer. It’s men, and some women, in robes, all human, all with degrees of greed and most all of them with some degree of willingness to be bribed. They will be covered by the press as ordinary mortals who are also judges and they won’t like it one bit.

This is one of the most shameless examples of that and of course Kellyanne Conway is involved. Rich guy gives her money to funnel to Ginni.

1 Like

The Legislature can do what it wants, but this is going to fail big time. The really scary part is guaranteeing any complaint or report of fraud will get a high-level review. That’s just opening the door to every Right-winger with a conspiracy theory too much access to too few resources.

EDIT: Did AG Paxton really spend $2.2M and 20,000 hours investigating voter fraud and only come up with THREE cases? Go TX Lege! write legislation to root out the massive fraud!!

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available