Texas GOP Moves To Commandeer Elections In Houston

Texas state lawmakers crept closer late Monday night to approving a series of bills aimed at stripping one of the country’s largest cities of the authority to run its own elections.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1458340
1 Like

“Our country has changed,” Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote for the majority. “While any racial discrimination in voting is too much, Congress must ensure that the legislation it passes to remedy that problem speaks to current conditions.”

Texas announced shortly after the decision that a voter identification law that had been blocked would go into effect immediately, and that redistricting maps there would no longer need federal approval. Changes in voting procedures in the places that had been covered by the law, including ones concerning restrictions on early voting, will now be subject only to after-the-fact litigation.

Fuck you SCOTUS for gutting the Voting Rights Act. (from the NYT article the day after the decision)

70 Likes

Seems like a number of lawsuits will ensue if this goes through. Two constitutions to examine here: the US Constitution and that of the State of Texas.

Anybody look at the State of Texas’ Constitution here? These people may be out ahead of their skis. Surely there must be provisions for equal treatment under the law. This whole idea I think is going to fail, and if they keep pushing it, they’re lying ways are going to be more and more exposed.

20 Likes

Oh well. Fight for it or lose it. Nice republic we had there…too bad we couldn’t keep it.

22 Likes

“The worst POC are the ones who vote.”
— Incompetent* GOP Messaging Bot

*Always says the quiet part out loud.

21 Likes

Pack the courts, gerrymander the legislatures; then the coup happens “legally”.

35 Likes

Conclusive evidence of voter fraud in a county in Texas is apparently a majority of that county voting Democratic.

42 Likes

If the Roberts Court has taught us anything it is that far more important than what the Constitution says is what a majority on the Court says it says. The same is true about the Texas Constitution.

Or to put another way, the Republican first courts will give Republicans in Texas anything they can to hold on to power for as long as possible.

22 Likes

More and more the bedwetters on this site, the ones who kept dismissing the very real and legitimate fears of those of us watching the creeping authoritarian fascism from the right were told to settle down and stop “doomscroling.” These wise know-it-all talking heads assured us that we just needed to “trust the system.”

Well, guess what? You were wrong. you were 100% fucking wrong.

The system you get off to is collapsing in the face of very real and very dangerous threats, while you sit smug in your old man smell and your lifetime of failures, the Reich is taking this country down a very dark path. If you’re all just a bunch of pontificating nobodies, then please do wake up and STFU. If by chance you are people of importance who can do something - THEN FUCKING DO SOMETHING. The time for complacency is OVER. Do you not get that? The barbarians are not at the gate, they are inside, destroying the stronghold.

What will it take for all of you to WAKE THE FUCK UP ALREADY?

7 Likes

Are you willing to stake this country - and maybe you life - on that? Because that’s what you’re doing. You’re pinning the future of the free world on a hope.

2 Likes

Oh noes, the Lege has found even more ineffectually symbolic ways to address their dipshit electoral grievances. Now we’re totally doomed!

This is all so dumb and pointless.

25 Likes

Gee, when I was growing up citizens elected their politicians, not politicians choosing their voters. I guess I am naive. Ah, those were the days…

10 Likes

It contains basically the same Due Process and Equal Protection provisions as the federal constitution, but SCOTX is a lost cause for this case. If a lawsuit ever needs to be filed over this nonsense, it will be under federal law (and not for the least reason is that states don’t get do-over elections under 2 U.S.C. § 7).

33 Likes

All this does is make people more determined to go vote.
Can a case be brought that the TX legislature is singling out one county with punitive measures, while other counties don’t have similar oversight? I mean having polling stations run out paper for the paper trail isn’t, or shouldn’t be a significant reason for some of these measures. If I remember correctly people had to wait, not there wasn’t a paper receipt to be had.

8 Likes

Nothing like pissing off your competition by unmasking yourself.

We need you and people like you in the fight.

6 Likes

Well I don’t live in Harris County, so I’ll leave this one up to Houston.

12 Likes

Ding ding ding. Equal Protection and Due Process. The state can’t post hac invalidate Harris County votes that couldn’t be invalidated elsewhere, nor can it take away my right to have my vote counted. And it can’t have a do-over election because Election Day is a matter of federal law.

46 Likes

Mitt says “accept when you cannot change”
I say BULLSHIT.
In Houston people’s votes won’t count or matter.
I say again BULLSHIT
Texans need to send messages to Abbott and his stooge legislature that screwing with votes will get ya throw outta office.

1 Like

I’m hoping this is the high (low?) water mark for the Texas GOP. The state isn;t getting redder.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available