Texas, Georgia, Arizona Are Hot Spots For New Voter Suppression Bills

A new report identifies Texas, Georgia and Arizona — all states where Democrats made significant inroads in 2020 — as the biggest producers of restrictive voter legislation. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1367615

Repugnant Republican Racist Rights Rulemaking Runs Rampant.

5 Likes
12 Likes

I am wondering when the media is going to state the rather obvious fact that the VRA protected us against such shenanigans and that the Roberts court specifically gutted it so that Republicans could once again engage in such tactics.

12 Likes

Cheaters gonna cheat

Chief Justice Roberts,

Welcome to our post racial society.

dont

6 Likes

Ah the curb on campaign finance rules that even a majority of Republican voters approve of.

2 Likes

The states most skurred of minority voters include…

2 Likes

I guess the Republican Party really wants a civil war. They just don’t get it.

I wrote this yesterday on TPM and I’ll post it again.

There needs to be a basic Federal set of laws that outlines acceptable and, as important, unacceptable behavior by municipalities, states and national political parties during local, state and national elections. Voting is a fundamental basic right of all citizens in this country and we must ensure that all citizens have the clear unimpeded right to vote and are allowed to voice their opinion on issues through the selection of political representation. This issue is not one that falls under “states rights”, but is one of such importance that the Federal level needs to ensure and enforce this right. No coercion (real or perceived), no intimidation, no unacceptable challenges through the creation of unacceptable barriers or actions should be tolerated. We need safe, secure, and accurate voting for all, and too many states allow games to be played. Enough.

No failing political party should be allowed to construct boundaries or rules to artificially maintain control of power by means of voting rules and changes to current rules that preclude the voice of US citizens from being heard. If they can’t win an election (at any level) without corrupt actions against our collective fundamental right to cast votes, then perhaps they need to rethink their positions on issues. They won’t, as this is all they have. The Republican leadership knows demographics are working against them, but they have morphed into a hideous cult decades ago and have neither the wisdom, insight, or courage to re-evaluate and return to honest policies. Their lies have caught up to them, and we as a Nation must now pay the price for their corrupt actions as they no longer control their base, but simply go along with the threats and violence from unleashed fringe groups.

5 Likes

When they go full stupid, they really go full stupid.

4 Likes

Their corporate donors and PACs disapprove this campaign message.

4 Likes

Texas, Georgia, Arizona Are Hot Spots For New Voter Suppression Bills

Anybody here surprised to read this? Anyone? Anyone at all?

No?? Thought not…

3 Likes

“Corporate donors”

Too the many Hivers with non human family members (@dartown , hey look, I didn’t say “pets”)
Let me just point out that Petsmart is one of the largest employers HQ’d in Arizona.

4 Likes

huh? states are doing everything they can to control who votes…yet TPM has 9 [ i lost count] articles about a sex- trafficker in Florida… whats wrong with these people? being able to vote affects more people than some creeps sex life… altho’ it seems it does affect more black/ brown voters than any other group…so WTH???

Being alive makes it easier for POC to vote, but there’s been no coverage of the Chauvin trial either.

As much as I enjoy the schadenfreude of watching an ass like Gaetz get got, some balance would be appreciated, but as I’m not a subscriber at the moment, I probably shouldn’t complain? :wink:

2 Likes

Chief Justice Roberts will never see racism in America. Brown v Board ended segregation based on race. That’s not being challenged. There are still, however, many other opportunities in this country to practice segregation, and Justice Roberts is just fine with segregating Democrats and liberals and Progressives from holding power, wherever Republicans deem appropriate. If the Democrats happen to be a racial minority, that’s pure coincidence.

5 Likes

OK. What are businesses and sports teams in those states saying? They’re speaking out in Georgia. Are any reporters asking around in Texas and Arizona?

They’re scared. Good.

6 Likes

It was the GOP Coc…er, Republicans…who, 20 some years ago, were boasting about how when people heard their ideas, they would vote for them because their platform was so superior.

Now their main idea is “Stop those ni (CLANG!) from voting!”

3 Likes

Which is the real question nobody is asking about HR1, if passed will it survive the Supreme Court lead by Chief Injustice John Roberts and if not, what will Democrats do about it?

1 Like