‘Terrible Job’: Republican Senators Pan Trump Defense Team After First Day | Talking Points Memo

Several Republican senators on Tuesday panned former President Donald Trump’s impeachment defense team, calling their arguments that his trial was unconstitutional rambling and incoherent. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1359167
1 Like

Someone should take Bruce Castor into protective custody.

And maybe put him on suicide watch.

53 Likes

Suicide by novichok?

11 Likes

I don’t want to inadvertently defend these guys, but if you have a crazy person for a client and 100 pounds of video evidence that says guilty, your defense may be handicapped.

Did someone think they might do a few rhetorically flourishes and then a mic drop?

56 Likes

Kind of fun watching a couple legal careers almost simultaneously implode.

They’ll still get credit for getting T**** acquitted, though.

27 Likes

That’s a pretty good “inadvertent” defense.

Just sayin’.

17 Likes

But doesn’t apply to today. Today should have been the easy part.

Doesn’t matter how guilty he is if it’s unconstitutional to hold the trial since he’s no longer in office.

They didn’t have to touch anything else yet.

29 Likes

When John Cornyn can’t bring himself to pucker up and kiss the O-ring of someone defending Turmp, you know you were terrible.

40 Likes

I wish the mango mussolini’s lawyers all the worst.
Given their lack of capability in spelling – or rather using spell checkers – I won’t need to wish hard.

18 Likes

That’s true - their ability to improve is almost infinite at this point.

16 Likes

“Gee, bad lawyering” say the senators. “Guess we’ll have to take care of getting Donnie off all by ourselves!”

ETA: @cervantes, that was a general comment, not directed as a reply to you. Sorry.

21 Likes

Non-existent.

15 Likes

The Maginot Line presented a better defense.

65 Likes

Only in America can the worst lawyers presenting a case in the worst possible way get you acquitted.

God I hope they get some criminal cases going against him while he can still draw a clock.

38 Likes

When you have a lemon for a client, you get lemonade for lawyers.

10 Likes

I’d be interested to hear what the newly added personal injury lawyer will say. So far his defense team is pretty lame for lack of better wording.

9 Likes

Les Nessman’s line presented a better defense.

18 Likes

“Terrible job”! But look on the bright side, it won’t make any difference.

16 Likes

Someone on the T**** team better be on the phone to the Barnes firm…
(at least they all know the number!)

1 Like

But they’ll acquit anyway because that’s how they roll.

7 Likes