Susan Collins Tweaks Jan. 6 Commission Bill In Effort To Save It From Filibuster | Talking Points Memo

Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) on Wednesday afternoon made two key tweaks to the House-passed Jan, 6 commission bill in a last-ditch effort to avoid a Republican filibuster, amid her colleagues signaling that the bill faces an uphill battle in the Senate.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1375574
1 Like

Additionally, Collins proposed winding down the panel 30 days after the commission submits its final report at the end of the year, instead of 60 days.

Oh. Wow. Well, gosh. Who can say no to THAT?

10 Likes

Who cares at this point?

Fuck you Joe Manchin. Fuck you.

30 Likes

Are we sure that the tweaks are “ a last-ditch effort to avoid a Republican filibuster” as opposed to, say, a desperate scramble for a fig leaf to justify ultimately voting against the bill after her last set of objections were shown to be already in the bill that passed the house?

24 Likes

Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley co-sponsored an amendment to allow John Yoo to write the final report before the commission is formed.

17 Likes

I’m surprised! I didn’t know Susan had studied Kabuki.

8 Likes

…dropped a pearl?

1 Like

Even makeup techniques.

3 Likes

Collins insists that if we don’t want the pubs’ to torpedo the commission by filibuster we must allow them to torpedo the commission from within once it has been formed. Perhaps MT Greene needs to be appointed as co-chair.

Go away, Susan, we’ve already got Manchin and Sinema doing Mitch’s work.

15 Likes

Where Collins started:

The talks are, for now, focused on two issues that Republican senators have cited for their opposition to the House-passed legislation to create the commission – ensuring that the panel’s staff is evenly split between the parties and making sure the commission’s work does not spill over into the midterm election year.

The House bill already attempts to address those two issues, requiring the Democratic-appointed chair to consult with Republicans when hiring staff, and setting an end date of Dec. 31, 2021, for the commission to issue its findings. And the commissioners would be evenly split between the parties, with five Democrats and five Republicans.

Where Collins ended up:

Collins’ revisions to the commission bill include proposing that the chair and vice chair of the committee “jointly” appoint staff — a tweak made in response to the GOP talking point that the House-passed bill is partisan for a laundry list of bad faith reasons. In the event that the chair and vice chair deadlock for 10 days after the formation of the panel, the two sides would be allowed to appoint their own staff, according to Politico.

Additionally, Collins proposed winding down the panel 30 days after the commission submits its final report at the end of the year, instead of 60 days.

Basically, Collins “opposed” the bill on two topics that House Democrats had already addressed and included in the bill. Rather than just admitting that, Collins asked for two minor changes to save face.

Do I have that right?

22 Likes

9 Likes

I guess it’s important for those “most people” to like the bill better … as they vote against it.

17 Likes

Please don’t insult Kabuki Theater. Her makeup technique is learned in clown college.

5 Likes

Collins would not specify whether she can get the 10 Republican notes needed for the bill to pass the Senate.

There’s vo way she’ll get those 10 Republican “notes.”

7 Likes

In the event that the chair and vice chair deadlock for 10 days after the formation of the panel, the two sides would be allowed to appoint their own staff, according to Politico.

I think that the correct text of Collins’ modification stipulates 10 years, not 10 days.

5 Likes

Sens. Rob Portman (R-OH) and Bill Cassidy (R-LA) expressed interest in supporting Collins’ modifications during a Tuesday party lunch.

Senators Portman and Cassidy: “Yes, that is correct. We support Collins’ modifications, but none of the rest of the bill.”

15 Likes

Tweak you, Susan Collins.

8 Likes

Two tweak to fail. That’s what’s still going to happen. So Manchin makes a move on the filibuster or Democrats do their own investigation. We’re basically in the same place.

6 Likes

I am seriously disliking this guy also.

25 Likes

Before swine.

3 Likes