Susan Collins Claims Gorsuch And Kavanaugh Betrayed Her

I’m a Democrat and I hate when Dems say stupid things. Cornyn did NOT make that point at all. The argument he was refuting was that “you do not overturn precedent after 50 years” - - he was saying “but Brown overturned Plessy after 50 years - so by that logic Dems should disagree witth Brown.” That’s all he was sayng. Regardless of my disagreeing with him on the larger issues, the point he made about the argument “there should be no reversal decisions after 50 years” was accurate. Republicans constantly mis-characterize statements by Democrats - please, let’s not follow suit.

Not necessarily an either/or. Even if – maybe especially if-- you take her at her word that she did not see this coming - she is not astute enough to be competent as a Senator.

1 Like

In the strictest possible construction you can put on it that’s true. But the tweet was meant to express contempt for our first black president. I don’t think anyone would dispute that very seriously. And clearly the reasoning behind Brown is vastly superior to that behind Plessy. It’s a specious argument, that if you accept the one you have to accept the other, and when I say specious it’s a fancy way of saying it’s bullshit. So let’s look at this thing in the round and judge it fairly.

2 Likes

What? I wasn’t commenting on whether she was astute enough? I was commenting on her “I didn’t see this coming” bullshit.

1 Like

That is hysterical. What a treat! Thank you so much!

1 Like

The Dalai Lama has also said nice things about the teachings of Jesus. I like a lot of things that are attributed to him as well. I’m just not quite sure that Jesus did actually exist. At least in the time frame that is recorded. Many of the apostles have better documentation. As far as the Buddha (the one we know something about – Gautama), the Pali Canon (a collection of scriptures in the Theravada Buddhist tradition), records 27 Buddhas before Gautama Buddha, and one who has yet to emerge (Maitreya,) Buddhist time is not linear, it is cyclic – no past, no future. There are some who also think that Jesus, if he existed, existed in different periods. Hence, the Missing Years of Jesus. It’s hard to capture the essence of most things mystical. I rejected religion about 60 years ago. I am not a practicing Buddhist, either (and I do not consider Buddhism a religion.) I just like to learn about how to live ethical, compassionate lives, and what sources we can draw on…

2 Likes

Yeah, like he’d care. He and others of his ilk were perfectly content to have FatAss put kids in cages after separating them from their parents and losing paperwork.

You really think he’ll start caring now??

Personally, I think there’s an awful lot of “Life of Brian” about the life of Jesus. May have been a real guy, but chances are pretty darned good that if he could read everything written about him over the past centuries he’d look at that and say, huh? that’s supposed to be me? seriously??

2 Likes

I had forgotten she was a vampire ghoul from the past.

Remember this lying harpy is 100% in on backing belligerent willful asshole Paul LaPage for governor of Maine …
Yes with all of the lying and damage that LePage inflicted on Maine… with LePage’s rampant racist raging … with LePage’s strident efforts to halt the provision of NARCAN to individuals in the midst of an opoid OD situation (because LePage argues that they deserve to die)
WITH THE FULL KNOWLEDGE OF ALL OF THIS -
Collins is still 100% endorsing, supporting and campaigning for Paul LePage for Governor of Maine.

Collins is disingenuous… at the very least … and more accurately is a cynical untrustworthy two-faced con-artist.

2 Likes

Just want to add to the conversation, though I’m sure many of us don’t mean to put all Catholics (or whatevers, except Fundies and other ultra “orthodoxers”) in the same boat.

First, I’m an atheist, having left the Episcopal (low church) at 15, except for babysitting in the nursery during services. I still love the music and the grandeur of places like Grace Cathedral.

I taught in a all-girls Catholic high school, and though I found the mandatory masses quite awful, the Sisters and my admins were welcoming to all. In my interview, I said I was raised in the Episcopal church and that yes, I could adhere to principles of Catholic social justice. I am a historian, and my teaching is very much tilted to social history and social justice.

At my first day on the job (“prep week”), the school bussed us to a tented luncheon at a Sonoma County winery. Each table had bottles of wine and rolls. Our ‘rented priest’ said a prayer and said the bread and wine on the table would be our “communion,” and would we all take a moment to take it and reflect on our gathering. I asked Sr. Joan (seated next to me) if it was OK for me to participate, and she said, of course! - we are a community.

We had a good number of students who were not RC - Russian/Armenian Orthdox, Protestants, at least one Jainist, several Muslims, and other non-Christians. None were refused a blessing.

My neighbor had died of AIDs a few years previously, and his funeral was to be held at St. Kevin’s down the block. I dreaded going. The service was wonderful … and the priest was openly gay. It was then that I realized the bullshit stuff coming out of the archbishop’s mouth was largely ignored in the trenches.

That said, the school did have to cloak its Gay/Straight Alliance club under another name. One of our teachers was in the process of transitioning. The Sisters went to the archbishop to find what the “consequences” might be, and was told “It’s fine - he’ll be a man.”

Funny story - The school decided they would formally announce the transition at a lunch “meeting” with all faculty, staff, and Board members. Over dessert, the Board president, an alum who still lived in the sixties somewhere, tried her best to not stumble over the words announcing G’s identification. Here’s the amusing part - I looked around to see that not ONE person in the room had a reaction beyond finishing their dessert.

BTW - I know of at least two RC teachers who assisted students in finding an abortion provider.

5 Likes

She betrayed her constituents and America
…she should acknowledge this and move on…we already knew she was a dolt.

Unlike TFG who was never President, or was at best absolutely derelict in his job working for me and everyone else in this bi-polar country of ours.

1 Like

There might be something to this. When I moved to NZ, I caught a lot more colds the first 2-3 winters, and every cold laid me out for 3-5 days. In the Before Times I would troop into work, hopped up on Sudafed, box of tissues by my side. Everyone did. But when I moved to NZ, suddenly I couldn’t work through a cold anymore; I was laid out for at least three days

2 Likes

This happens to every new teacher, too. I mean, I had taught when i was in grad school but it absolutely failed to prepare me for the reality of the germs teaching middle and high school. Sickest year of my life except for the time I had mono.

4 Likes

My wife and I refer to our public elementary school as, “The Local Microbe Distribution Facility”.

(And if repeated exposure to germs helps build immunity, why did we keep getting sick from bugs our little boy brought home every month since Pre-K?!)

:expressionless:

5 Likes

Oh yeah, when the kids started kindergarten (both times! Even being at the same elementary school!) we got hammered. Kindergarten is all fun and games until hand foot and mouth disease gets going.

3 Likes

And then there is prekindergarten. The falls are rough on everyone.

1 Like

We can dream…

That’s rhetorical question I presume. Alito, et al – I’ve said before – are shameless. Easy to be that way when you have G.d on your side. I am deadly serious when I say they would support the resurrection of stoning as capital punishment for women – Jezebels – if it were on the docket.
They are weird psycho-sexual freaks. Anything but the missionary position with the lights off, of course, and only after prayer.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available