Supreme Court Lets Abortion Providers Sue To Block Ban

It’s not clever at all. It’s just the Fascist 5 pretending they’re helpless to do anything about this whole situation and too gutless to explain that they really just don’t give a shit about what Texas has done.

53 Likes

I feel like that’s a set up to a lawyer joke…

But, at the moment I’m rather too grateful to @txlawyer to follow through on that.

7 Likes

Oven jokes would take on a certain amount of risk.

7 Likes

That’s the lawyer you want.

31 Likes

So true. I watched a bald eagle dive bomb what looked like a swallow the other day. Knocked it dead to the ground.

2 Likes

Fuck you, gorsuch. No balls at all. “We’re not actually banning colored folk from using the same restrooms as white folk, we’re just letting the state law banning them remain active while it works its way through the courts.”

Fuck them all to fucking hell.

50 Likes

Fried it good and nearly killed himself. Saved by a piece of silk.

2 Likes

Yes it is. That’s the lawyer I had. Last name “Greif”. I like nominative determinism. My accountant was “Pray”.

8 Likes

Actually, the answer is term limits for the Supremes. No more lifetime appointments. Of course that needs a amendment to the Constitution, and Mitch won’t allow that to come to a vote in the Senate.

10 Likes

No worries. @txlawyer gave the perfect response.

4 Likes

This. Doing nothing to deter the fascists while attempting to keep the armband off themselves. Enablers are worse than perpetrators in the end. The stench from this court is so thick already, and it’s just getting started.

21 Likes

I think I just found my favorite new term!

6 Likes

Ok, what now? Can someone explain what will happen next? I understand the Con SCOTUS is doing what we would expect, do nothing and let it go through the courts, but what actions can the supporters of reproductive rights do now?

6 Likes

The Supreme Court, historically speaking, has always been awful and anti-democracy and pro-plutocracy. We had a decent little interregnum there from the late-30s through 1978 or so, but any pretense was definitively dropped with Bush v. Gore. The Court these days is about nothing other than the raw exercise of economic and political (Republican only) power, and it’s about to go on an epic spree of carving out religious exemptions and entitlements to anything and everything perceived as liberal. I am confident the nation will survive this assault, but assault is what it is.

35 Likes

I only meant clever in the sense that it’s likely to lead to the proper outcome, based on your analysis - you yourself said it’s how it should have gone in the first place.

But I do get your point.

5 Likes

“Given the ongoing chilling effect of the state law, the District Court should resolve this litigation and enter appropriate relief without delay,” Roberts wrote.

Yup, because the Sanctimonious Six has no power to avoid that chilling effect by blocking the law while it works its way through the Texas courts. It all becomes moot when the Court issues its decision in the Mississippi case anyway.

11 Likes
2 Likes

Yes, it looks like taxpayers will be funding religious schools in the not-so-distant future.

16 Likes

I believe you are the wrong respondent to my question.

4 Likes

I like the part about an “unsigned paragraph” written by conservative justices: is that normal?

6 Likes