Supreme Court Issues Stay, At Least Temporarily Blocking Mifepristone Restrictions From Taking Effect

The Supreme Court granted the Department of Justice’s emergency request to temporarily halt lower court rulings that would have reimposed restrictions on mifepristone that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had lifted in recent years.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1455203
1 Like

Supreme Court spokesperson was quoted as saying “We’re just waiting for Crow’s checks to clear before we can lift the stay.”

42 Likes

Hmm, now that was unexpected. I wonder when the other shoe drops, though.

9 Likes

Seems the GOP prez candidates are all in for a nationwide ban. They’re heading for a tsunami level wipeout in 2024 if they keep this up. They’re pretty much a “niche party” already.

32 Likes

Oh he would literally sign it, not sorta kinda but literally. Now THAT’S a leader I can vote for!

TrumpWalker24!

Whoops, I thought he meant Scott Walker, not Tim Scott. Not much difference though.

8 Likes

I’ve yet to understand what Carolinian voters see in this dude.

12 Likes

We will know how deep in shit Clarence is if or when he tacks leftward on this issue or any other. If he goes moderate, we’ll know he’s worried.

9 Likes

OT. Thomas is obviously corrupt, but he’s also an antidemocratic canned fruitcake.

22 Likes

I believe this means that Alito granted the brief stay, without referring it to the full court. It’s not easy to be optimistic about this case, but this aspect is somewhat encouraging.

13 Likes

Riceheads like cheeseheads?

(Mistook Tim Scott for Scott Walker)

2 Likes

Now: Yes but they’d never ban abortion so I’m voting R anyway
Later: I never thought the leopard would eat my face!!!

Unfortunately that’s the mentality in a lot of the perma-red states.

17 Likes

Time to begin calling these politicans on this. They are anti-abortion and not pro-life. If these candidates and anti-abortion zealots were pro-life, other measures would be supported/enacted to actually support prenatal care AND child welfare - food, housing, healthcare, childcare- throughout the child’s life. Until I hear proposals and see laws passed to insure the overall well being of children, these folks are anti-abortion and pro forced birth.

29 Likes

Hamburger Helper.

7 Likes

Thomas would overturn implied powers if he could. I have to wonder whether he’d overturn judicial review, though, since it would be a self-refuting ruling. Probably, justified by the judicial principle of you’re not the boss of me.

4 Likes

It’s a niche party. Besides fetuses, guns and absolutist religious belief (and the overlap constitutes pretty much a perfect circle) what else they got?

14 Likes

So how much cash did PhRMA slip to Alito to get their way?

4 Likes

I believe it means Alito puts a hold and then the full court takes up the stay. The full court ruling will come in next Wednesday.h/t @txlawyer

11 Likes

I’ll take Tax cuts for the Rich for 10,000,000, Alek.

15 Likes

A big contribution to Opus Dei?

5 Likes

Not really. Kacsmaryck and the Fifth Circuit’s opinions were both obvious garbage that would imperil all kinds of other stuff that the majority wants to protect, like oil companies and polluters. If you want SCOTUS to do something radical, you can’t just serve up bullshit and tell them to dig in.

36 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available