Supreme Court Hears Effort To Curtail Blue State Abortion Access – TPM – Talking Points Memo

The terminology used here is always “anti-abortion”. This is not really representative of their position, and frames things in their terms. “Forced-birth” should be used instead.

10 Likes

Nah, dawg.

2 Likes

Ah yes. Restore the full and complete Comstock Act with no exceptions

Dems damn well better campaign on that this year

1 Like

I think the commenter’s somewhat rhetorical question had to do with the hypocrisy of the pro-natalist position of the right wing. If the Thomas’s don’t want, or can’t have, any biological spawn, that would be their business – except that they demand that who don’t want a child, or have medical complications such that it is dangerous, or who were raped, into forced natalism because of the superstitions that inhabit Clarence and Ginni’s otherwise empty skulls.

8 Likes

Jackson: Don’t We Owe Deference To FDA Expertise?

No. The next time you seek medical attention make sure to contact SCOTUS for a second opinion.

5 Likes

From the Guardian, I suspect just the right amount of thought went into choosing that heading.

6 Likes

Subtle dig at potential for Chevron deference falling this term?

5 Likes

So bounced on standing, then…?

With dissrnts from Thomas/Alito with instructions on how to try again?

2 Likes

Maybe Alito will leak a sneak peak early again…

She focused a bit on the lack of an ultrasound requirement to determine gestational age, heartbeat or ectopic pregnancy before prescribing mifepristone. It was a red herring IMHO.

2 Likes

Not so much. A recommendation that Law folks and Medical folks stay in their lanes.

1 Like

I don’t see why these docs don’t just assert they are harmed simply by knowing that women are out there having sex w/o being forced to endure God’s Full Judgement on women*

*For the 5 people commenting here who are eager to scold this comment as uninformed, /s

7 Likes

“Standing on what ifs” sounds like a riff from a rock song and not an argument in front of SCOTUS.

With a big side order of “will y’all knock it off with this sweeping overreach stuff already, you’re making us look bad”, possibly?

Expansion may not be needed if Congress simply made the DC Court of Appeals or some other Court the final say. Congress has the ability to limit the court’s jurisdiction. (Conservatives often brought that up during the same sex marriage cases.)

3 Likes

With another scathing commentary, er, dissent by justices Thomas & Alito bemoaning the majority ignoring the Comstock Act to give the anti abortion groups a roadmap for another bite at the apple :apple:.

2 Likes

And a big “Gimmie something I can work with at least” concurring opinion from at least one of the justices

2 Likes

Either way you have to nuke the filibuster or get a supermajority, so they are equally difficult lifts.

No, the one they really love to use is “pro-life,” which, based on their position on everything from capital punishment to vaccines to neo-natal care to healthcare generally, is ludicrously inaccurate and question-begging. Anti-abortion by contrast is rather neutral.

But, yes, we might as well use “forced birth,” and turn the rhetorical flame up a notch or two. Democrats have been laggards for decades in adopting the mirror image of the slogans of their foes – which is a form of unilateral disarmament

1 Like

Scarlett J.: “How the hell did I get mixed up in this?”

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available