States Sue Over ICE Rule Threatening Int’l Students, As Trump Admin Defends It In Court | Talking Points Memo

mental ward section of a medical wing of a federal prison?

I prefer to say “religiosity”, not “religious leanings”, just as they’re “Christianists”, not “Christians”. They’re Republicans, there’s no reason to give them more than they’ve earned…

1 Like

“Say the safeword!”

“MAGA?”

“Wrong! (Whack) Say the safeword!”

“Fake News?”

“Deep State?”

3 Likes

For every college degree issued there is one less Republican voter

6 Likes

MAGAts, yes. Suburban white women, not so much.

5 Likes

Yes, I remember Andrew Sullivan’s astute observation about the RWNJ’s being “Christianists” from years ago. They remain that way, only more so. Fake. Faux. Two Corinthians Phonies.

2 Likes

I disagree that Republicans “love the poorly educated”.

Rather, because the media has done such a terrible job at doing its job that is so important to a functioning Democracy, educating the masses so they can make informed decisions, Republicans have been able to fool those they least respect or care about into supporting their own demise.

1 Like

If I am not mistaken, California State University system did not join Harvard and MIT lawsuit. Many of its campuses filed amicus briefs in that lawsuit but even more critically CSU (together with California community college system) is a part of a separate lawsuit filed by the state of California. And University of California system filed yet another lawsuit.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I was actually referring to the list linked to in the article listing amicus brief filings - it include the two Cal Poly campuses, 12 other campuses, plus the CSU Chancellor’s office.

See here:

https://twitter.com/neubadah/status/1281766862632759297/photo/1

1 Like

Very impressive list and my alma mater is on it -Sonoma State.

2 Likes

We agree that Republicans succeed by fooling voters. The more gullible voters there are, the better for the GOP. But it is hard to fool people possessing critical reasoning skills (i.e. educated people). In that sense, Republicans clearly love poorly educated.

I saw it, I just wanted to stress that the amicus briefs were followed by a more consequential step of being a part of the California lawsuit. Having read about CA lawsuit, I was at first disappointed not to see UC as a part of the announcement until I read that UC filed a separate suit. Plus a suit by 17 other states.
I think any one of these suits is strong enough to stop mal-administration on this issue but I hope that having several strong suits increases chances of quickly obtaining an injunction that will at least allow universities and international students proceed with fall semester/quarter plans in as normal an order as covid allows.

3 Likes

@playitagainrowlf
Either way that’s a lot of school systems, with a lot of law schools, who have alumni that might want to do some “work” on the case.

2 Likes

The cruelty is the point.

Just remember that when they start whining and complaining under the next administration. People who support kids in cages have no moral standing on anything.

5 Likes

In Our Dreams.

1 Like

Nail, meet head. When people complain about book learnin’, academics and “elitists” and actively discourage higher education within their own circles, they shouldn’t be too surprised to see people from other countries pursuing that education and the resulting jobs.

IOW, Junior Samples, those jobs aren’t becoming less necessary, no matter what you think of them.

Oh, they know this, that’s really part of the point…they are trying to pressure universities financially do so something that will help Trump politically, at least Trump and the Republicans think opening schools will fool people into thinking that things are “back to normal”. If universities do it, they see it as a win, and if universities don’t then they get to kick a bunch of foreigners out of the nation, which they also see as a win. The fact that it’s a stupid policy, that will decrease America’s economic competitiveness, or that it will make a bunch of people sick, is irrelevant to them…all they want to do is stick it to the liberals and foreigners, and hurting universities and their immigrant students is a great way to do it.

I really hope that karma gets these bastards in the end for all of their atrocious behavior and beliefs.

2 Likes

The impact on universities and colleges is clear, which I bet Trump considers just another benefit.
One major question is what would happen to all those students whose countries are refusing to allow people to enter if they come from the US?

1 Like

I attended a Boalt Hall (UC Berkeley) law school graduation a few years ago. The school has a special masters program for foreign lawyers and judges and the wonderful assortment of names announced exceeded the number of students graduating with their JDs.

2 Likes

Can’t universities start revoking the degrees of some of these loons?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available