Sondland Demands Pompeo Pay $1.8 Million In Impeachment Legal Fees | Talking Points Memo

Gordon Sondland, the former U.S. ambassador to the EU, is suing former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the government in a bid to have one of the two pay for $1.8 million in legal fees incurred during the 2019 Ukraine impeachment inquiry.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1375066
2 Likes

Splendid. Gotta love it when the vultures start picking at each other.

51 Likes

Comfused here…
Does this call for the worlds smallest violin or thoughts and prayers???

27 Likes

I would suggest the former:

12 Likes

Perhaps a drizzle of schadenfreude? Pompeo getting busted is a lovely way of starting the week. And it’s barely the beginning of what he’s got coming to him.

41 Likes

Sondland is just another rich guy who wants other people to pay his bills. If you don’t want to eat your own cooking, don’t be a stupid patsy for a corrupt regime from whom you bought your “job.”

43 Likes

Who woulda thought Trump would NOT pay someone’s legal fees??

But when it came time to pay up in February 2020, Sondland said, State Department officials told Sondland that “the Administration wanted to purge everyone remotely connected to the Impeachment trial.”

31 Likes

OT, but incoming pivot attempt…

21 Likes

Sorry, Gordon, but $1.8 million in fees for a few days of testimony? Obviously, I’d love to see a judgement against Pompeo, who had zero authority to promise reimbursement by the State Dept. On the other hand, I bet Vindman, Yovanovitch, etc didn’t have almost $2 million in legal fees.

35 Likes

Gordon Sondland is the dumbest knucklehead ever. He was lucky to come out from his adventure as Ambassador and Trump’s James Bond without a prison term or a murder attempt. And what the idiot does? Starts making noises surely to bring undesired attention from the DOJ. Next he knows he will be 2 or more million dollars in the hole fighting conspiracy and corruption charges.

27 Likes

I wonder if any of them have the guts to sue Trump, that would be even better. In the meantime, let’s hope Pompeo is so busy defending himself in court he doesn’t have the time to make a run at POTUS, which is clearly his supreme goal.

21 Likes

I trust that Psaki will point out that investment is a fiscally responsible strategy while neglecting and/or actively destroying things is not.

24 Likes

The others also didn’t have potential legal exposure for crimes in their testimony. Tends to up the bill and the defense work needed.

19 Likes

Grifters.

14 Likes

Yes, my point exactly.

5 Likes

There’s no honor amongst thieves and grifters.

9 Likes

Ya know, Sondland, we had kind of forgotten about you and your odd interest in Ukraine while nominally ambassador to the EU. But if you want to drag your ass back into the spotlight while making Pompeo’s life miserable for the next two years, you be you. I’ll be over here with the popcorn and beer.

67 Likes

How exactly could Pompeo claim the State Department would pay for this? I certainly hope he personally gets in trouble for this, but I won’t hold my breath. I can’t see how the taxpayers should be held responsible for Pompeo making a bribe.

29 Likes

In other good news of the day
Jason Miller Ordered To Pay $42K For Failed Defamation Suit | Crooks and Liars

43 Likes

Sondland goes on to describe Pompeo’s commitment to have the government reimburse his testimony as an example of “rogue actions” by the secretary of state.

So Sondland, um, did you get that commitment in writing? And precisely when did you come to think of that commitment as a “rogue action”?

21 Likes