Soccer Captain Uses Mic To Beg Congress To Act After Shootings

Alejandro Bedoya, captain of the Philadelphia Union soccer team, sprinted to the field microphone after he scored a goal Sunday to send a message to Congress: “Hey Congress, do something now! End gun violence, let’s go!”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1240367
2 Likes

The more people speak out, every day, from every quarter of the country and every position and background, the more the pressure grows. Last night, my local CBS affiliate cited a poll of likely voters showing 94% supported background checks. It’s a start.

10 Likes

You know a guy who kicks balls professionally can kick some serious ass.

2 Likes

It’s a start but no civilian needs an assault weapon, or ten or 15 of them.

7 Likes

Alejandro Bedoya

A hero.

Let’s see what Trump says about him. (I bet it won’t be a surprise.)

3 Likes

I have always been shocked by the fact that basically the same infantry assault weapons used in Vietnam, the AR-15 (M-16) and AK-47, are available over the counter to just about anyone with the money. The country seems to have lost its collective mind.

4 Likes

What ever he says you know he isn’t going to risk pronouncing his name.

An assault-weapons ban sounds good, but it would have little practical effect. For one thing (speaking as a lawyer), it’s very difficult to define a class of weapons so as to make it impossible to get around the ban. (That would not be so if all semi-automatic long guns were to be banned.) And assault-type weapons are responsible for only a small fraction of gun deaths in America.

Far more effective would be limiting the size of magazines (no civilian needs more than a 5-shot magazine) and the number of purchases, closing the gun-show loophole, universal backgorund checks (see “gun-show loophole”) and stronger standards for obtaining licenses for firearms, which should be much more widespread.

2 Likes

I’m proud that another vet is saying this. Thank you.

4 Likes

Yes…DO SOMETHING DO SOMETHING DO SOMETHING…all together now…

2 Likes

What you say is true but any gun that shoots the type of round that does the type of damage that these weapons do to the body should be banned. Ever seen a body that has 5-30 rounds from an AR-15 or an AK pumped in to it?

5 Likes

Au contraire, I will not be shocked if he makes fun of it!

2 Likes

Good point. Limiting ammunition sales would help. But again, such bullets account for a small portion of the gun deaths in the US each year. As you probably know, suicide is the largest share of gun deaths. Accidental shootings are also a signifiant part. And people killed that way are much more likely to die from a .32 or .38 or 9mm round. Or even a .22.

2 Likes

All of the above and more – including buy-backs and something about liability, for example.

6 Likes

If the weapons and ammo that are used in all these sensational mass killings weren’t available to the public it could only be a good thing. There just isn’t any need for these weapons and ammo to be in the hands of the public. You could eliminate all guns and we would probably still have an horrendous suicide problem. I get your point.

3 Likes

Bravo to Mr. Bedoya for speaking out. He is absolutely correct; any changes to the law must begin in Congress. Maybe Moscow Mitch will finally listen…or not. I hope he is in a great deal of pain, in any case.

3 Likes

He is self medicating on bourbon, safe from the angry rabble.

1 Like

Dying by your own hand does not cause mass deaths. Dying in a mass shooting is not a choice anyone would make.

1 Like

And increase excise taxes on guns and ammo.

No bullets, no bang.

2 Likes

Instead of us thrashing through the same old gun control debate again, why don’t we just demand our congress critters get off their collective asses and do something, anything.

We have these shootings about every day now. We debate the 2nd amendment and how hard it is to legislate. Then we go back to our lives and Congress does nothing.

Well, it is hard and we do have a 2nd amendment. We also pay our congress critters 6 figures to figure it out. Don’t give them a pass. Tell them to roll up their sleeves and do something that makes us safer. Doing nothing is no longer acceptable.

2 Likes