So Much Winning: Biden Officially Secures Enough Electors To Become President | Talking Points Memo

This is like a 300-lb. cherry on top of a ginormous chocolate schadenfreude sundae. With whipped Trumps instead of whipped cream. But no nuts - we’ll leave those to QAnon and Trump’s legal team.

9 Likes

But Michael Flynn sez Trump won California and New York and every other state and he’ll be running a coup to have a revote run by the military… Any day now…

2 Likes

Bah Humbug.

Have another cup of coffee, darcy. Its too early for me to get into whether or not Santa is merely some kind of tool. Btw, this Thursday is the first night of Chanukah so I really don’t have a dog in that fight anyway.

10 Likes

13 Likes

WOOOOO HOOOOO!

16 Likes

Wow, just wow and we thought fox was bad
This Is Your Brain on Newsmax - The Bulwark

3 Likes

Santa came from the true spirit of the season:

Red coat, white trim, flying reindeer, (they like it too) ho ho ho.

4 Likes

These steps in the election are often ignored formalities. But the hidden mechanics of electing a U.S. president have drawn new scrutiny this year…

Oh come on TPM writers. These mechanics were never “hidden” – they were always public and well documented formalities. Calling them “hidden” just feeds into fever swamps of Republican conspiracists who want to declare that there is some vast “hidden machinery” actively stealing the election from their Beloved Buffoon. Can’t you come up with a better way to describe this? How about:

These steps in the election are often ignored formalities. But the regular civic process of electing a U.S. president have drawn new scrutiny this year…

16 Likes

16 Likes

“Taking their ball and going home”

Hey buddy! That’s Mike Schmidt’s joke!
Just sayin.

1 Like

So, even if Repubs hold onto the senate (and even if not, they’d still control it under 1/20/21 since Pence will still be the tie-breaker), and every GOP senator refuses to vote to certify Biden, they still can’t block it?

Or, they can, but the chances that 50-52 Repubs would refuse are minimal?

1 Like

My smallish deep blue state just certified for Biden too – yay, us!

15 Likes

Just kidding. Guess you never worked retail. Too early for me as well.

Love Santa, always have.

7 Likes

So what’s it’s like to live in a radical extreme fringe far-left commie Murca-hating state? I LOVE it, just had my card laminated.

4 Likes

He doesn’t realize there are copies.

5 Likes

Finally, someone gets it right.

9 Likes

Love this one.

27 Likes

Worked holidays at Wal*Mart once. Hell in 8 hour increments. Almost non stop xmas music broken up only by periodic Richard Simmons Sweatin’ To The Oldies ads.

11 Likes

Losing those three states puts it at 269 to 269.

So what would have happened then?

Nevermind:

The Constitution is pretty clear on how this plays out. If there is no winner in the Electoral College, Article 2, Section 1, Clause 3 states that the decision goes to the House of Representatives while the Senate picks the vice president. But the voting in the House is different from the Senate. In the vote for vice president, each Senator has one vote. But in the House each state has only one vote for president—regardless of its size—and a presidential candidate needs 26 states to win.

“But in chusing [sic] the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote;”

If the presidential race should end up in the House the outcome would depend on which party controls the state’s delegation. As it stands Republicans are in the majority, with control of 26 state delegations. Democrats control 23 state delegations and one state, Pennsylvania, has a tied delegation: 9 Democrats and 9 Republicans.[1] But the Congress is sworn in before the Electoral College votes are read out in the Senate. In the case of a tie it will be the next Congress not the current Congress that votes on the presidency, and a handful of 2020 congressional elections could decide the presidential election.

6 Likes

And a shout-out to California’s own, our Vice President-Elect & the Second Gentleman …

27 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available