Sinema Tweets Support Of HR1 While Upholding Main Obstacle To Its Passage

He hasn’t really done that much to stand out so far, give it some time.

3 Likes

"You can’t think yourself out of a writing block, you have to write yourself out of a thinking block.

John Rogers,"
10 Likes

Well, if that were the entire motivation, you’d think the filibuster might have even more support than it does!

2 Likes

Ah, centrists. They never change.

2 Likes

Do you think this headline gives Manchin too much credit?

2 Likes

She really is optic deficient. She doesn’t seem to understand that.

4 Likes

This whole Manchin thing is giving him too much credit.I caught a small piece of his CNN interview and listening to him talk and express his views I’m sitting there saying and this is the guy people are listening to ? I think he’s still pissed off at Vice President Harris speaking to his constituents.

4 Likes

But isn’t that the problem though? West VA is 92% white with around 4% black, and Arizona is somewhere around 88% white with also around 4% black. Are WVA and AZ white voters really gonna care if a lot of black people in GA get locked out of the polls enough to primary these two out?

I mean that’s kinda the elephant in the room right now isn’t it, that there’s still some Dixiecrat left in the party from these mostly white conservative states. That it’s just possible Sinema and Manchin don’t really care about black voting rights (at least not as much as they care about parliamentary procedures) since black people just aren’t their constituency and the white voters that are just don’t give a shit either?

3 Likes

I thought that was just a symbol of Arizona!

3 Likes

Hey, folks:

Biden to order bipartisan commission to study Supreme Court expansion (cnbc.com)

9 Likes

Sinema is either playing this too cute by half, or she really is this dumb. If she thinks that she can find Republicans to work with- then do it.
What I get from Joe and Kyrsten is that they want bipartisan support, great, fine, then go make it happen. Tell us who you are working with, who on the other side of the aisle you think that you can partner with. But don’t demand that leadership needs to beg the Republicans to come on over!.

But Manchin dismissed that idea, comparing it to being “a little bit pregnant,” and claimed that there is bipartisan support for many of the bill’s measures. He has suggested stripping out some pieces from HR1 to make it more palatable to Republicans.

Again which Republicans, and what pieces?

12 Likes

No, no, and no. Do nothing of the sort. Appeasement didn’t work for Czechoslovakia in the 1930s and it won’t work here.

12 Likes

It’s 54% white when you remove the latino population from being “white.” Black is not the only color when POC are mentioned, and latinos make up 34% of Arizona’s population.

12 Likes

Manchins burr in his saddle.

5 Likes

That’s part of it, I agree.

Now I wonder who’s going to take ultimate responsibility for that little “mistake.”

3 Likes

What mistake?

Sometimes, you have to send a woman in to do a man’s job.

[you knew this was coming, don’t act so surprised!!! :slight_smile: ]

4 Likes

You hearing the same crickets I’m hearing?

5 Likes

Absolutely true, but many, many latinos identify as white (that’s why “non-white hispanic” is a category because most actually are “white”) and latino and black American concerns and do not always overlap. If Arizona latinos aren’t targeted by voting restrictions would they really be in an uproar that black Georgians are?

1 Like

For Manchin, I think its more that he’s just set in his ways rather than he’s afraid. At 73, I suspect he could care less that he is pissing off Democrats with his approach.

1 Like

Or they might care enough to be seen opposing?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available