Sinema Tweets Support Of HR1 While Upholding Main Obstacle To Its Passage

OT, related to gun control:

9 Likes

Too honest for her, I guess.

On the other hand, it’s just a guess. I don’t pretend to understand her.

6 Likes

Sinema can’t decide who she wants to be. Does she want to be a Green Party member, a Democrat, or a moderate Republican? One day she’ll make up her mind, I just hope there’s a another Democrat sitting in that Senate seat when she does.

13 Likes

The woman leaves the definite impression she may not be the sharpest tool in the drawer.

8 Likes

Ego is inscrutable.

2 Likes

This is dismaying. I’m surprised Kelly isn’t more popular. Sigh.

10 Likes

The only problem with that logic is that it is a dangerous plan. Perhaps Manchin and Sinema secretly planned to get rid of the filibuster and pass voting rights legislation in the Fall after getting in the news as holdouts. What happens if one of the multiple elderly Democratic Senators in a state with a Republican governor dies before the fall? Democracy reform dies with them. By the actuarial tables, this is not such an unlikely situation.

6 Likes

If Manchin manages to lose the Democratic majority in the Senate, he’ll be a bit unpopular in that godforsaken chamber I would think.

4 Likes

“I think the solution is for senators to change their behavior and begin to work together, which is what the country wants us to do.”

The Country™ wants you to “make things better” and doesn’t give a crap about process. The vast majority of people have no freaking clue what the filibuster really is. They sure know if suddenly all the voting drop boxes are removed from their area, or they need two witnesses to sign their ballot, or their state legislature arbitrarily fires their county elections commissioner after a close vote.

22 Likes

Mitch allows Susan Collins to Furrow*, and gnash, and waffle in her statements then watches her vote with her party…every time. Why can’t we be patient and allow her to manage her voters. We are better off with 2 D Senators from previously red Arizona.

It’s about preservation. Saying she is Mavericky then voting to keep a primary opponent from being supported buy the party is what she will do. Can you imagine the rage if she was the one vote that kept HR1 from becoming law?

*used with permission of Senator Collins.

5 Likes

“When you have a place that’s broken and not working, and many would say that’s the Senate today, I don’t think the solution is to erode the rules,” she said this week. “I think the solution is for senators to change their behavior and begin to work together, which is what the country wants us to do.”

humming a disco tune

4 Likes

That’s exactly the point, and I’m not just imagining the rage …

13 Likes

You aren’t thinking this through. What chance does the Senator of Pink of being reelected if she is the one vote that sinks HR1? She will be abandoned by the Party, and be facing a multimilliion dollar kickstarter fund by sundown. She is playing this the only way she can.

2 Likes

That’s totally different. People lie to pollsters, that’s the nature of anonymity. Senators don’t typically lie to their caucus about which way they’re going on an issue, especially being that they have to show their hand when the vote comes up. I trust that Schumer isn’t bringing this for a vote until he knows he’s got the votes. And any senator who relies on the votes of POC is dead in the water in their next primary if they openly fucked us over like that. You can take that to the bank.

20 Likes

But they can (and do) lie to the Press and that’s when they talk to the Press at all.

I trust no one on this. Not until the final tally. Then they are committed to their position permanently.

3 Likes

On NPR this morning, I was listening to a Democratic rep from a red district in IL. She said that her constituents are happy with Biden, the spending, etc. - and not one has mentioned the filibuster, reconciliation, or any of the stuff we junkies know about. She’s a representative, however, not a Senator, thus much more in touch with her constituents. I would think if Manchin got off his ample ass and went out into his public, he’d find the exact same thing.

12 Likes

When has that happened on our side? When have all these bills come up that Dems were supposed to pass but then failed because of a surprise vote? It hasn’t happened, and there’s literally no reason nor any point in lying because everyone will know when they vote nay. Passing this bill is existential for the survival of the Democratic Party. No one is going to dare play games like that. Not if they want to remain a senator.

10 Likes

If Senator Pinky votes to pass HR1, she wont have lied to her voters. Her statement says 2 things. He thinks the filibuster is important to protect MINORITY rights(ie the moderate Rs in her state) and that HR1 is critical to democracy. All she needs is to choose which is more important. Plenty of room to say the filibuster needs to be ignored on this 1 issue, cause it’s too important.

4 Likes

She’s like Manchin - they want the filibuster 'cos they don’t have to be held accountable for anything.

17 Likes

He’s 73 years old and a millionaire. What the hell is he so afraid of? Could retire at any time and live a very nice life of course. This makes me nuts.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available