Sheriff Shrugs Off Alleged Whitmer Kidnapping Plot, Suggests It Might’ve Been Citizen’s Arrest

Sheriff Dar Leaf of Barry County, Michigan downplayed an alleged far-right scheme to kidnap and “try” Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) for “treason” during an astonishing interview on Friday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1337644
1 Like

He seems nice. I bet his sister-mother is very proud.

43 Likes

why is he still in office?
and not in jail?

38 Likes

Grounds for termination. Period.

49 Likes

I think someone needs to citizens arrest that sheriff. Oh wait, stupidity is not a crime. He’s free to go.

36 Likes

HERE HE IS …

41 Likes

There are all sorts of people like this guy in law enforcement. They are either thuggish loons or loony thugs. This guy seems to be a thuggish loon.

53 Likes

Sad to say, but this fucking wing nut “Sherrif” is in the county I live in. He’s one of those idiots that believe the Constitution gives him the right to ignore and make law as he sees fit. He has short mans syndrome and a following here in Barry county; some call it the Appalachia of the North.

55 Likes

Because he was elected by stupider people than he…not unlike those same types who vote for Louis Gohmert (R, TX).

17 Likes

Mall security fired this one.

25 Likes

Further proof that the office of Sheriff needs to be abolished nationwide.

21 Likes

HuffPost reported later on Friday that Leaf is affiliated with the extremist “constitutional sheriffs” movement, which is founded on the belief that sheriffs outrank state and federal officials in their counties. The group has ties to right-wing militias.

Law enforcements ‘sovereign citizen’s’ movement.
I’d wager that this empowerment movement has just as much standing in court and under the law.

18 Likes

Did this group of Trumpers have plans to kill police?

7 Likes

Gee Sheriff, if it was a “citizens arrest,” why, you should just go arrest her yourself. Isn’t that your job? Why are you hiding behind these very fine people, acting like they should do your job for you?

Idiotic, cowardly assholes. Lock them up. Vote them out.

33 Likes

State police.
They’d have killed them in their home county, so it’d be OK.
“Strangers 'round here,” don’cha know.

6 Likes

Are you making reference to the old joke, how can you tell someone is from Barry County, Michigan? There family tree does not fork.

That said, I think the sheriff’s statements are sedition and as others have said, by his own standards he is inviting citizens to arrest him.

33 Likes

So if a bunch, maybe two, New Black Panthers show up to a Polling Place in his County to insure safety at the polls, he is not going to roll the SWAT Team?

Right.

15 Likes

Answer to first question: it’s more red here than China or Russia.
Answer to second question: he hasn’t broken the law. It would probably cause a hot short war if he were arrested since his followers would probably hijack the military surplus gear that he has to break him out of the jail.

7 Likes

Oath Keepers

6 Likes

Looks like the illegitimate child of Wilford Brimley and Amy Coney Barrett.

15 Likes