Shep Smith’s First Post-Fox Appearance | Talking Points Memo

Former Fox News anchor Shep Smith has emerged for the first time following his abrupt resignation last month.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1264639

> They flood the world of information with garbage and lies, masquerading as news. There’s a phrase for that.”

lol, good on ya, Shep.

11 Likes

Holy fuckin’ shit some people have way too much money. And it’s hard to imagine having that much money and still wanting more.

5 Likes

Holy fucking shit, this wasn’t about money, it was about honoring freedom of the press. Smith said this and it’s worth reading. Try it.

“Our belief a decade ago that the online revolution would liberate us now seems a bit premature, doesn’t it?” Mr. Smith said in his customary Mississippi lilt. “Autocrats have learned how to use those same online tools to shore up their power. They flood the world of information with garbage and lies, masquerading as news. There’s a phrase for that.”

“We know that journalists are sometimes wary of being perceived as activists for some cause,” he said. “But press freedom is not the preserve of one political group or one political party. It’s a value embedded in our very foundational documents. Journalists need to join hands to defend it.”

12 Likes

Think you kind of missed the point?

5 Likes

People on TV get paid a lot. In other news, water: still makes things wet.

It is what it is. He’s not asking for money, he’s giving it away.

9 Likes

Kudos to Shep for making his appearance a gift to the Committee to Protect Journalists, a terrific organization.

7 Likes

I am so damn proud of Shep! He stuck to his guns and didn’t kiss Roger Ailes or Rupert’s asses! He stayed true to what he believed in any that was TRUTH, damnit!

Thank you Shep❣️

1 Like

Good on yer, Shep! I can’t imagine how you ever ended up at Fox Russian Propaganda Network, but you were the only beacon of truth there.

1 Like

I always liked and trusted Shep. I think that given a platform and control of the process, he would turn out to be the best news / commentary voice in many years.

Interesting. Almost provocative. He had to know Fox brass was wondering what his first public move would be.

I know what he did and why, although I have a hard time believing he really believes in freedom of the press since he worked for fox. Just to clarify, my point was if I had 500K to give away I can’t imagine working a paid job like he did for years, especially at Fox. So for example if I played the lottery and won several million dollars I would not continue to work at my current paid job because I wouldn’t really need the money, I could volunteer my time to doing something else I was more interested in and that did more good for others and it would allow someone that did need the job for money a chance to work.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available