Senators Sound Increasingly Sure We Are Bound For A Witness-Less Trial | Talking Points Memo

A day before Friday’s vote, senators on both sides are sounding fairly confident that this will be the first witnessless impeachment trial in U.S. history.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1287961

It was always going this way. But Schiff & Co have done a masterful job of chaining the Senate GOP to this anchor.

61 Likes

Witnessless witlessness.

Well, 243 years was a good run. I would say there’s always Britain, Australia, and Canada as alternatives, but with Brexit tomorrow, massive wildfires, and Trudeau buying the wrong kind of donuts, where’s a person to go for a good democratic republic.

36 Likes

Moscow Mitch must be SO proud!

10 Likes

You know, that isn’t exactly a good “look.” Trump orders Republican Senators to acquit him and dismiss charges in time for the (can you believe it?) Superbowl, and they rush to comply.

25 Likes

But they are still good Germans and didn’t know anything.

Scumbags.

And yes, I am using Nazi references, and it’s accurate to do so.

19 Likes

The greatest deliberative body in the world don’t need no witnesses.

21 Likes

Guess it’s time to take to the streets.

20 Likes

I guess I’m still trying to be optimistic, but I seem to recall MoscowMitch wearing that same self-satisfied smirk just before the ACA vote didn’t end the way he wanted it to.

Of course, McCain is gone and there’s nobody of honor left in that crew so…

28 Likes

Witness-less is witlessness.

7 Likes

Susan Collins get one of Mitch’s Get out of Jail free cards…

This will just make me more determined to see her career ended come November.

44 Likes

Tell us, TPM, something we haven’t already discerned.

8 Likes

What’s that word the former reality TV show host uses?

Oh, yeah …

RIGGED

6 Likes

OT.

I figured Sanders rise was not going to last:
I know, polls change this early with wide swings but this poll feels more accurate to me:

The Pew survey of 5,861 registered Democrats finds Biden in the lead at 26 percent support, followed by Sanders at 21 percent and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) at 16 percent. Rounding out the 2020 field are former South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg at 7 percent, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg at 5 percent, businessman Andrew Yang at 3 percent and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) at 2 percent.

This Pew poll is a national poll.
Hate to say it, but it looks like Amy’s days are numbered unless she pulls out a miracle of some kind.

12 Likes

New Zealand is OK.

13 Likes

Germany, NZ, the Scandinavian countries. They’re hanging in…for now.

8 Likes

Lots of soundbites for the campaign.

7 Likes

'Oh hahahahah…we FKED you again! Just wait ‘til you see what happens in the election when Donnie has TOTAL presidential control!’ What a bunch of treasonous cowards. FK 'em all…

4 Likes

Been seriously looking into that.

6 Likes

75% of the public want witnesses but fuck them, I guess.

17 Likes