Senate Dem Asks GOP Mega Donor For Details About Gifts To Clarence Thomas

A top Senate Democrat has requested that Harlan Crow, a Texas billionaire who’s donated millions to conservative causes, provide details about the luxury gifts he gave Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas over their decades-long friendship.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1456080
1 Like

Frist?

Good luck getting Crow’s cooperation. Hopefully there will be no more “gifts” to Supreme Court Justices

23 Likes

Even if Crow refuses to respond, it’s good to keep this in the headlines every freaking day. People are just beginning to understand how corrupt and illegitimate the current SCOTUS is.

60 Likes

It’s no wonder the judiciary is in such a shambles when it’s been so thoroughly purchased by the ultra-wealthy.

I really wonder whether it’s too far gone to be saved. Dems will never again have a supermajority in the Senate, so impeachment will never be an option. The judiciary will only be saved if the corrupt members can be shamed out. Which is frankly absurd. No rape victim ever successfully stopped their own violent rape by shaming their attacker, and that is in many ways what this is.

28 Likes

Friendly reminder: No subpoena power so long as DiFi still draws breath.

44 Likes

Anita Hill Was Right!!!

21 Likes

“The appearance of impropriety” used to work in the past, for the Supreme Court. In 2023 it is looked at differently.

This is not only characteristic of THIS Court…it is a Republican trademark.

Fortunately the Senate Dem named in this article happens to be Ron Wyden (D-OR).
He will not give up on this.

The logic applied by @moreyampersand also makes excellent sense. Thomas,
for most people, had a very low profile…

31 Likes

I heard that if Feinstein is replaced, her replacement will require a vote to be placed on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Is that correct?

3 Likes

3 justices appointed by a person who stole the 2016 election.

25 Likes

:grimacing:

1 Like

Correct, but unprecedented. Not that that would stop Mitch from doing it.

30 Likes

Pardon my small dance as I sing my impromptu 'Git these mothers, one and all, git ‘em all, these fucking fuckers’.

I see there are many lawyers here: does his impution as a judge render his verdicts, particularly if writing for the majority, all subject to the idea of the fruit from the poisoned tree?

Also, if proven here, and plainly he has avoided scrutiny, and likely out of contempt, does it not open any decision he participated in that had a single judge constitute the majority decision also become open to challenge?

8 Likes

that the gifs complied with federal tax law

Crow was just sending Justice Thomas some funny cat memes. What’s the big deal?

21 Likes

Another story today alleging that Thomas failed to recuse himself when considering a case in which Crow had a vital interest.
Another: Kacsmaryk hiding his source of income on disclosure statements.

A corrupt judicial = one more small step toward fascism and autocracy.

Get enough corrupt judges and a leader can literally get away with anything.

41 Likes

She said he was a creep who talked dirty. I don’t recall her saying he was venal.

2 Likes

I am familiar enough with the rules that govern SCOTUS “untouchability”

For me, I am not looking at Thomas as someone who “got away with” impropriety.

He is not getting away with this, even if he is never charged with anything.

The combination of his actions and what they evoke in most people should do the trick.

Pro tip: say the name Thurgood Marshall…then say the name Clarence Thomas

23 Likes

Senator Wyden chairs the finance committee, but is not on the judiciary committee. Senator Feinstein is not on the finance committee. Presumably, Feinstein‘s absence should not prevent Senator Wyden’s unilateral issuance, as chairman of the finance committee, of a subpoena here. That is as a result of Senator Warnock‘s victory in Georgia, conferring subpoena power on four specific Senate committee chairs, irrespective of minority opposition. Enforcing a subpoena may be another matter, as that may require assistance, or at least non-opposition, from both Sinema and Manchin, in Senator Feinstein‘s absence.

31 Likes

Pardon me, I had assumed it was Durbin being ineffectual. Upon reflection, the idea that Durbin would even bother with a letter should have been a clear indication that this was not, in fact Durbin. I regret the error.

17 Likes

I wonder how many of Thomas’ former clerks ended up as legal counsel to Crow’s beloved far right, or just plain right of center organizations that he also contributes to?

11 Likes

Poor Clarence he overcame Jim Crow but he won’t overcome Harlen Crow. s/

17 Likes