Sen. Tammy Duckworth, An Iraq War Vet, Expresses Alarm At Military Helicopters Over DC | Talking Points Memo

Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), an Iraq War veteran who lost both her legs in combat, expressed alarm on Tuesday over the federal government’s use of military helicopters to disperse protests in Washington, D.C. the night before.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1312319

With JUST enough time before the election . . .

. . . by the end of June, the Republicans will put together a collection of vertebrae that they imagine to be a spine.

6 Likes

Katy Tur is in DC reporting on the huge crowds and wondering if they will all disperse by 8:00.

Maya Wiley says this is different than protests before. Leaders haven’t been forthcoming about what will change so that there aren’t any more George Floyds.

ETA: I’m pretty sure she said 8, because I hadn’t heard the curfew had changed. It’s still 7.

12 Likes

There has to be a daily circle jerk everyday at the White House.
Attendance;
Trump,Pence, Barr, Pompeo, McConnell and God knows who else.
They have to be getting off on destroying are freedom.

6 Likes

And how much PTSD are those helicopters going to trigger in members of the public, i.e., former service people like Senator Duckworth?

21 Likes

One more step toward the GOP’s dream dynasty of a NAZI America . . . unless we stop them!

6 Likes

In other news, here is a Minneapolis councilman telling you about the extortion racket by Bob Kroll and the Police Union in the city. Outrageous.

https://twitter.com/MplsWard3/status/1267891878801915904

8 Likes

That guy is a piece of shit. I was just telling that to my brother, who is a retired police officer, yesterday.

18 Likes

Haven’t heard from Rand Paul. Isn’t he against big government overreach and stuff?

15 Likes

Right now Flatbush Avenue is erupting with horn honking – pretty obviously in solidarity with the protesters heading along Flatbush to the Barclays Center.

Curfew in NYC tonight is set for 8:00. I’m wondering about that. I do note fewer cops and vehicles outside my window, which is interesting. The street I live on has been the primary police staging area for the protests at the Barclays Center, and it’s notably lighter out there tonight than it has been. It’s curious because the chanting and honking is amazing tonight. Lots of solidarity. I’d say it’s the first night in a few nights it’s been so loud and long.

I can’t see them, but I also hear helicopters.

9 Likes

More like one jerk in the middle of the circle screaming about his ratings and his polls and demanding everybody fix it - hence the lame ass photo op of yesterday that was supposed to make Trump look tough and resolute. He must have been whining for hours about the articles depicting him as hiding out in his widdle bunker.

13 Likes

Good for Duckworth, exactly the person to make this statement: Having lost both of her legs when her chopper was shot down.

I have noted her name in mix for VP, would be an interesting choice.

Some signs the damn is breaking and we are at the choosing point. Bush II’s statement, McMullen’s piece in the Atlantic, and some rather more pointed comments from Lisa Murscowski (sp?) and Sasse, which has the effect of putting pressure on others.

13 Likes

Ah. Katy’s in NYC, of course. 8:00 there.

4 Likes

So, what do we give it, maybe 4:00 am before Cadet Bonespurs twitter attacks this true American hero? Or sooner?

6 Likes

liked x infinity

He looked so tough and resolute I wasn’t sure he’d make it across the street. :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Gee, I wonder if the Army asked the Black Hawk and Lakota Tribes for their blessing in using their names? Oh, the irony.

12 Likes

Don’t forget the aptly named chief of staff no. 4, McCarthy.

2 Likes

Duckworth would be the perfect VP choice. From the Mid-West, military hero, female, smart as a whip.

4 Likes

I understand that even Donald, himself, suffered a Bonespur Panic Attack from draft-dodger flashbacks.

23 Likes

Everything Fat Nixon isn’t.

6 Likes