SCOTUS Puts Judges Smack In The Middle Of The POTUS-Congress Subpoena Fight | Talking Points Memo

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/1281257228683620352

My full views on just how much Trump lost today at the Supreme Court today, in under 3 mins! So much winning.

4 Likes

The expedited in the lower courts tweet from Tribe - yes. I made that point elsewhere. This is all about evidence in a criminal proceeding and it’s pretrial and should be expedited.

2 Likes

Barr probably visited her to say goodbye.

That’s a reference to Kayleigh McEnany, right? Alternative reality? Simple?

Thought so.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Tribe has long been one of the most authoritative writers on issues of constitutional law. It has been interesting to see just how annoyed he’s obviously become with Trump and his “conservative” (trans. radical right wing – they ain’t conservative) facilitators since Trump was elected.

2 Likes

Or to set up the details of the body swap…

A perceived “win” or a perceived “loss” for the occupant, the subject will be alive for months; even without him being forced to answer to NY or Congress there are opponents of him and his admin who are going to make it topic one as often as possible. On top of which he’ll be tweeting his grievances and how his feelings are hurt and the unfairness of it all and so on, and then there’s the presumptive nominee talking about the occupant’s tax returns…

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1281232505362952193?s=20

I :heart: Neal Katyal.

2 Likes

A perceived “win” or a perceived “loss” for the occupant, the subject will be alive for months; even without him being forced to answer to NY or Congress there are opponents of him personally and his admin who are going to make it topic one as often as possible. The Lincoln Project for one will have a ball with this as the subject matter.

On top of which he’ll be tweeting his grievances and how his feelings are hurt and the unfairness of it all and so on, so it won’t be out of the public’s eye well past election day.

But there is the Russian … solution.

Not sure I know what you mean unless it has to do with assassination by a Russian agent spiking the Diet Coke.

Grump has a lot on Putin, I suspect.

Shouldn’t be the other way around? Putin has stuff on trumPP we can’t even imagine going back to 2013 or earlier when the Miss Universe contest was in Moscow and the golden showers and the attempts to have one-on-one meetings with Putin, and attempts to get money to build a trumpp installation in Moscow.

2 Likes

That’s OK. I can wait…providing I live long enough. Eventually, it’ll all come out in the wash. He’ll have to give up something and probably after he’s already left office. Just so long as its still pursued in some way by Congress getting some of those records so we can all know just how much he’s lied to the American people, I’ll be satisfied. I’ll be even more satisfied when we learn how much he broke the law and Congress coming up with legislation that can prevent this ridiculous impasse from ever happening again.

Bullshit. Congress passed a law, and SCOTUS carved out an exception for the individual who occupies the office of the Presidency. That’s a clear violation of the intent of the law, and does the exact opposite of what SCOTUS claimed about not setting a second standard for the POTUS.

I’m in awe of how the SCOTUS decision is being derided here, when it is a 7-2 decision. Even RBJ concurred with the majority. But too many are talking about how SCOTUS worked to protect the IMPOTUS. The cognitive dissonance runs strong through a certain subset of this group.

Congress could also pass rules for the judiciary that would expedite cases dealing with subpoena disputes so that the “delay tactics are not that effective,” Turberville said.

Couldn’t Congress also pass a law taking these conflicts out of appellate review, per A. III, S.2, Cl. 2.?

1 Like

That depends on what Trump was fighting for. Given it’s July of an election year and Trump’s docs are something he’s fought harder to conceal than anything else he’s done I think what he wanted was for their contents to be unknown on Nov. 3rd and he’s got that.

The rulings are more of Robert’s Trojan Horses dressed up like fair and balanced jurisprudence but with a belly full of GOP goodies. Congress will now have to show a “legislative purpose” to go after a POTUS which allows pursuit with no hope of capture. Trump will get a redo on his effort to stiff subpoenas. They took his " I’m a God" defense away and told him to go back and do it again like a normal person. That will take the fight past Nov. 3rd. After that there will be no point as he’s certain to lose and no one will give a shit about him anymore.

I see it as a clear win for Trump.

Boil it down to what matters to Trump: No one see’s his financial docs. That’s what this is about. No one will see Trump’s doc…at least not until he doesn’t matter anymore. Who cares what RBG or Roberts dressed that up as? You WILL NOT SEE Trumps financial docs and the horrid things they contain before Nov. 3. Biden will not be able to use the contents of those docs against Trump.

The legalese being tossed about is biullshit.

Who you going to take that argument to?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available