SCOTUS Drawn Into Battle Over Florida’s Ex-Felon Voter Restrictions | Talking Points Memo

The Supreme Court has before it a request from voter groups that it intervene in the high-stakes legal fight over a 2019 Florida law restricting the voting rights of ex-felons.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1319796
1 Like

DeSantis
Florida Republicans
God how I hate those motherfuckers
They have turned Florida into a shithole state
Their motto " Democracy is for chumps We cheat to win"

25 Likes

VOTE
A four letter word so hard to implement.In some places.

7 Likes

O/T anybody else see this

13 Likes

But hey, Hillary was a corporate shill, worse than trump, so I am going to sit out 2016… remember that?

Will be an interesting test of Roberts. What the 11th just did clearly violates Purcell, and if they do what they did in wi they will quickly reverse. If they don’t, then it is 110% iron-clad proof their voting rights jurisprudence is judicial partisan hackery.

10 Likes

You’d think as future felons, the GOP would have some sympathy.

20 Likes

On Friday, Justice Clarence Thomas, who oversees the appellate circuit that includes Florida, asked that the state file a response to the request by next Tuesday.

Is it coincidental that Thomas will adjudicate this on behalf of many who look like him?

And how, without Scalia, will Thomas manage to make this NOT a violation of the 24th amendment to the Constitution? Is he a strict constructionist only when it’s convenient?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/amendment-24

5 Likes

25 Likes

How is this different than maybe requiring all parking tickets to be paid before someone can vote?

And that would clearly not pass muster. The only difference is that the crime is being committed on ex prisoners, who are not a sympathetic cohort, but if you’re basing laws on how much you like the people affected by the law then you’d might as well pack it up and stop calling yourself a democracy.

But the simple issue here is that voting is a right, not a privilege, and Repubkicans have never seemed to understand that (as Trump basically made clear today).

8 Likes

Q: What does one call a lawyer who graduated last in their class?
A: A lawyer.

7 Likes

It’s shocking that Kayleigh has a degree of any kind. Her instructors wasted their time.

6 Likes

And a job. A job anywhere…

3 Likes

A lot of “extra credit” time with her professors?

3 Likes

Critical thinking was never part of Kayleigh’s curriculum.

5 Likes

Speaking of more examples of power-grabbing…

Wisconsin’s Supreme Court is at it again. They’re insufferable. These lame-duck sessions allowing Repukes to strip a duly-elected Democratic Governor and his Democratic AG, or like what they tried to do in Michigan even when voters put their proposals on the ballot that passed overwhelmingly to strip the Democratic SoS of powers as well, has got to stop. These kinds of shenanigans are transparent power-grabs, clearly being used by goopers who have lost the vote and lost in the court of public opinion. Its this kind of unelected minority rule being manipulated by the losers of popular initiatives that is destroying the country.

11 Likes

Do I even have to point out that Clarence Thomas is the justice least likely to step in to protect the right to vote?

11 Likes

Can’t we all just assume he had someone else take it for him?

3 Likes

Personally I think he is bullshitting and didn’t take one at all

3 Likes

Apart from all of the technical stuff, and electives which broadened my general knowledge and understanding, I think the most important thing I learned in school was critical thinking. This is exactly what I had in mind when I made my comment.

3 Likes

Yes, but it was giuliani.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available