SCOTUS Denies Trump Bid To Block Jan. 6 Records | Talking Points Memo

He tamped down on the idea that the former POTUS really has no right to claim executive privilege or that the sitting POTUS has absolute control and focused on there being standards to apply from the Nixon case. Basically, he’s set up a situation where if the GQPers want to pull some shenanigans merely for revenge and try to make a huge stink about some gloriously unimportant and piddling issue, demanding that Biden’s papers be handed over for a fishing expedition, it ain’t gonna happen unless he and the rest of the neofascists on the Court act like hypocrites. It’s totally possible they will, but it will at least look terrible.

2 Likes

If you don’t have time to read a 4-page ruling, which is mostly blank space and headings and so more like 2 pages of actual content, it’s possible that others don’t have time to go and dig out some quotes.

Me too, but my guess is that they are so busy translating, that they don’t put the details into long-term memory. So if someone were to, say, tear up their notes, they might not have much to tell about the conversation.

On the other hand, if one of the principals turned pale, was shaking like a leaf, and vomited, they would probably remember that.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the advertising industry. I agree with you that the kinds of practices that you describe are misleading. But, I would not call them lies, primarily because they, quite literally, don’t say anything. They leave it up to the viewer to imagine the best possible interpretation of what is shown. And, mind you, they do a very good job of leading the viewers in the right direction! In the case which I recalled, some untrue words were actually spoken.

1 Like

I wonder: if there is a big fund that TDFG has control over (I forget exactly what it is, but whatever the fundraising has been going into), can its assets be attached in the event that TDFG is sued for a debt?

Now, now. Don’t wish strokes on anybody, even bad people.

I don’t want to hurt TDFG. I just want him held accountable for his actions. Which he won’t like, of course, but it would be good for him in the long run. He might need to do a lot of thinking, alone, in a very small room that he seldom leaves except for mandatory showers and occasional walks in the exercise yard.

Frankly, so would I. Establishing ‘look, this shit’s important, so fuck Trump’ without giving future Republican Congresses carte blanche to go looking into everyone’s everything without any pressing need is probably the best way forward.

Enabling justice without enabling witch hunts, basically.

1 Like

Alter ego liability seems pretty likely.

1 Like

I mean, it’s a Tower of Power tune, of course it cooks.

But hot damn, those girls can cook. Thanks for this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can’t they, though? The shamisen has kind of a thin sound, so most of the oomph comes from the rhythm section. And that thumb strumming the bass player does is enormously and irresistibly propulsive, on top of all the other great stuff she does. She lives in the States now, Juna Serita, and she tours, FYI.

1 Like

Yeah, seriously. I’d love to see her doing a bass duet w/Jenny Lee Lindberg of Warpaint.

1 Like

Tal Wilkenfeld comes to mind.

2 Likes

I don’t suppose that Thomas’ vote can be constitutional as making him an accessory after-the-fact in his wife’s active support of multiple acts of sedition?

How about this?

3 Likes

Thoughts and prayers. Hopefully, no co-morbidities. (Note: I always use hopefully incorrectly).

3 Likes

To be fair, that is not a stroke.

2 Likes

Exactly. I’m not a monster, mostly.

Useful idiot, from day one. I told you so. I told you so. Neener, neener.

2 Likes

Long ago, I saw a comedy act in Japan with a Japanese woman in a Geisha costume who sang and played a shamisnen to accompany songs like “Yellow Rose of Texas”.
The comedy came from the discordance between the instrument and the music.
I guess you had to be there.

1 Like

There is/was a fake McDonald’s in City of Industry, CA, built just for commercials.
Has holes in the roof and sides for cameras, etc. Not misleading, but a movie set.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available