SCOTUS Denies Republicans’ Request To Revive Tighter Ballot Deadlines In N.C. | Talking Points Memo

The U.S. Supreme Court denied Wednesday two requests by Republicans that the court revive a tighter deadline for returning absentee ballots in North Carolina.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1341144
1 Like

Gorsuch’s dissent focused on while he didn’t believe the pandemic met those conditions.

I hope Gorsuch gets a good taste of teh Covid and then tells us how a pandemic is no big deal. Sorry but its been a long day. I’m losing any sympathy for assholes that can’t recognize a public health threat causing immeasurable death when its fucking staring them in the eyes. If this isn’t an emergency, what the fuck is?

30 Likes

Florida being declared for Biden by 10 ET.

31 Likes

Republicans losing power in both chambers and the executive sure is one.

13 Likes

The new SCOTUS is no longer calling balls & strikes, they are calling winners & losers, . . . . . but on what basis, because it certainly does not seem to be the Constitution or the Law.

13 Likes

They are going to have to call themselves losers when next congress votes to expand the number of Justices. They know that is going to happen and they are trying to prevent the democratic landslide that is coming. Trump was too inept to steal the election, the laptop of hell got no traction, the Justices are going to have to do the dirty work themselves.

9 Likes

This Supreme Court unfortunately lives in their own kind of bubble and that’s deeply unfortunate for all of us.

11 Likes

What bubble? They are perfectly aware of what is going on and they want to help Republicans win.

7 Likes
11 Likes

They think they are immune from the virus is what I meant. To believe that the pandemic doesn’t rise to the level of an emergency, and alternative measures therefore are necessary, is just plain bonkers. Its especially moronic in light of just how contagious the virus is and the number of people that have already died in less than a year. I know they are ideologically biased and will do anything to come to the aid of the GOP, but to ignore the pandemic which affects not just Dems but also Republicans is just plain, well, ignorant.

10 Likes

Do you really think they believe that? They do know what the pandemic is, they just want to make excuses to bend things in favor of the GOP. It is not judicial philosophy, it’s not living in a bubble, is not tunnel vision, is not even stupidity; it is plain and unadulterated partisanship.

10 Likes

BOOM

19 Likes

On average, I’ve lost 0.5 points in Xanax consumption since the debate, but gained 0.7 points in Prozac consumption, closing a bit of a weird anxiety/panic-disorder drug vs. anti-depressant gap we’d seen pre-debate.

I’m currently exploring medically-induced comas.

39 Likes
5 Likes

Once Democrats take control of enough state legislative branches, the conservatives on the Court will no longer be so concerned about a narrow textual reading of the Article 2 Section 2’s “in such manner as the Legislature may direct” clause such that it precludes action by any other state entity. They will shift to other results & rationales.

Just my prediction.

10 Likes

“No big deal”
80K new cases today.

6 Likes

These guys are just making shit up at this point.

7 Likes

That would make one of the most beautiful, peaceful evenings I could enjoy in a long long time.
sit back, relax, read nothing, type nothing, watch cartoons, take a shot or 2 of jim beam, a few hits on the pipe. ahh I so miss the old days from 4 years ago. lol. seems so long ago.

12 Likes

That’s two for democracy today!

Still, looking at the rest of the day’s stories I can certainly see Putie sipping his champagne.

3 Likes

they should be in a bubble. one that is closed off from any outside interference
a special group of people that lives and dies by the Constitution of the United States & the Bill of Rights as it is written. Not to be infringed upon in any way shape or form.
Unfortunately, the qualifications of a person chosen to be a Supreme Court Justice has dropped to such a level that we now have, well you know, the sex, drugs, alcohol and fanatical religious majority members association.
a far cry from what should be.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available