SCOTUS Closes Door On Emoluments Question | Talking Points Memo

The Supreme Court declared emoluments cases against former President Trump moot on Monday, closing the door for now to the long-running and unresolved question of whether it was constitutional for the former President to reap profits from his businesses while in office.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1356437

The Trump regime and his dishonest AG Bill Barr obstructed and stalled while Don the Con and his crooked grifter family repeatedly violated the emoluments clause of the Constitution. The Supreme Court now has affirmed this strategy. This renders the emoluments clause to be a legal nullity when a corrupt future president blatantly violates it.

This cynical decision is exactly why the right wing Supreme Court is awful.

64 Likes

And so it goes.

Anyway, here are the two summary orders:

13 Likes

Time for some new more Constitution oriented SC Justices!

15 Likes

SCOTUS just nullified the entire purpose of the Emoluments Clause.

49 Likes

Another opportunity wasted by our glacial and inept court system. They wasted no time in executing people of late, though. Odd that!

45 Likes

That may be how you and I look at it.

Politicians – including on the Court, if any – may look at it as another bullet carefully dodged!

20 Likes

So a law that was specifically cited by the U.S. Constitution cannot be enforced because no one has the standing to enforce it? How curious.

32 Likes

I’d settle for more humane ones who, not only their being legal scholars, have experience in the community at large instead of the usual insufferable poshos.

15 Likes

Indeed. Some boxes are best left unopened.

8 Likes

There’s a name for this kind of decision: chickenshit.

22 Likes

Another black mark on the reputation of the black robes. Disgraceful.

17 Likes

Dodging responsibilities. Cowards.

17 Likes

I’ve long thought that some people other than lawyers should be on the Court.

11 Likes

the failure to address lingering questions over whether the Emoluments clause bans private profit from foreign governments

Shameful. This is not a hard call.

A federal office holder should not have a business advantage over his or her competitors. What happened to free market conservatives?

23 Likes

Maybe this is another legislative issue for Congress, ordering all future Presidents to divest of everything and place all investments and businesses into real blind trusts.

28 Likes

So the Trump Trio on SCOTUS just “earned” their seats.

25 Likes

There were one or two in Austria.

Or so I’ve heard.

12 Likes

It appears the Federalist crew couldn’t figure out how to direct its majority on the court. Geniuses all.

Did anyone notice that no one spoke to or greeted Sister Amy Coney Barrett at the inauguration?

The cheese stood alone.

My schadenfreude moment.

18 Likes

This is disheartening, which should redouble our efforts to utilize the power we do possess right now.

We have a legislative window that we should operationalize as soon as possible.

Pre-2020 election, our enemy was despair, which some courageous voters in swing states took among themselves to overcome, voting in dangerous and hostile conditions, both in the General and in Georgia.

Right now, it’s cynicism.

And messaging

16 Likes